Saturday, July 1, 2017

June 2017 Wrap Up

A few books read, some challenges completed, and a panic attack at the end!

My month in review. Let's see how I did!

Books read

In order to meet my Goodreads goal of 100 books, I need to read 8.33 books per month. According to Goodreads, I've only read 3 books this month:

  1. About a Dog by Jenn McKinlay
  2. Unbreakable by Kami Garcia
  3. Little French Bistro by Nina George

June Reviews

Blog Goals

I've been trying to improve my NetGalley rating but haven't had much luck. I started the month at 64% because I foolishly requested more titles and dropped a couple of points. Oops! Finished the month at 63% so am going the wrong way! Need to stop requesting new books before I finish reviewing the old ones. Stop tempting me, NetGalley!!!

Around the Blogosphere

June was a busy month for me! Decided to jump into the deep end of the pool to try and drag myself out of the blogging rut I've been in for, well, seems like forever.

Joined Armchair Book Expo at the beginning of the month and had a blast! ICYMI, here are my posts: Introduction, What Do Readers Want, Delving Into Diversity & Dining With Authors, and my Wrap Up. So glad that I saw Tif's reminder at the last minute and was able to join in the fun! Sad to hear that this was the last year, so very happy I joined in the fun!

I also took part in a couple of challenges hosted by Anna at Herding Cats & Burning Soup. The Get Social Blogger Event was a fun two week event designed to discover new blogs, make new friends, and leave comments on each other's posts. Also took part in the Mini Blog Ahead to try and schedule posts in advance and take some of the pressure off myself.

Then there was the Biannual Blogathon Bash, which gave me an opportunity to work on my blog and polish as needed. A little like Bloggiesta, which I missed earlier. I seriously underestimated how long it would take to update my old posts to make them pin worthy, so going to pencil it into my planner to work on a little at a time.

Found an interesting list of TED talks for bloggers and digital marketers through the Blogathon. Not all of them apply to blogging, but there are several interesting talks!

The Blogathon also had a link to 40+ Free Online Courses for Bloggers. Found several to sign up for, so hope you find a few as well.

Commenting

Did much better on visiting old friends this past month! And thanks to the Get Social event, found several new blogs as well!

Overall

Had a bit of a panic at the end of the month when Photobucket decided to act like a jerk and block bloggers from using their services unless you paid their ridiculous extortion fees. I thought it was just me because I went over my storage limit but no, they decided to screw everyone with a free account. Think they need to revisit what good customer service means!

Threw up a generic blogger template since my background and header were being held hostage. Hated it, so played around until I found one I liked better. Going to leave it as I concentrate on replacing all blocked images, which may take awhile. Then I'll decide what to do about my template.

Actually thought about walking away from the blog and starting over somewhere else because it's going to take an awful lot of time to replace all those images. A fresh start, if you will. But as tempting as that sounds, I think I'm going to keep my blogger account and work on it in bits and pieces.

So....how was your month?



42 comments:

  1. You sure did have a busy month! I really hate the Photobucket situation. I don't have to deal with it but like you said, it is extortion and I'm sorry that many bloggers have to go through this.

    I'm so behind on my Goodreads challenge. I seriously think I over estimated my reading amount. Oh well. LOL ~Aleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Photobucket is severely pissing off lots of people so hoping they'll rethink their strategy and give me back access to my pictures. And I've adjusted my reading goals before so you could totally reduce your goal to take some of the pressure off, Aleen!

      Delete
  2. Photobucket seems to have messed up a lot of people's day with that BS. I did the get social event and had fun with that one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing that I wasn't the only one affected made the betrayal easier to bear for some reason. I'm still really mad at Photobucket, but at least I'm not alone in my anger. Now where did I put that pitchfork, tar, and feathers???

      Delete
  3. Great month! I haven't been on Photobucket in ages...so I will now hide, in case they decide to come after me for the time I did use their services. LOL.

    Enjoy July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been meaning to leave them for awhile because they kept getting more aggressive with their ad pop-ups, but guess they had to kick me to the actual curb in order for me to get my butt in gear! lol

      Delete
  4. I think it's great that you read three books last month. Never manage to read or finish more than one book a month. Is this adulting, never having time to read?
    Anyway, I hope you find July successful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya' Alexandrina! Adulting is hard! :)

      Delete
  5. Oh ugh, sorry about that photo headache. I have to say I'm so happy to have switched to WordPress and actually own all my content. But you have to do what works for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lory! I'm trying to figure out what my best option is going to be, as I need something that will let me crop and edit images as well as store them. The search continues!

      Delete
  6. this photobucket thing is insane!
    I finally just read Nina George's previous book and was quite disappointed. what did you think of this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little French Bistro is my first Nina George and I enjoyed it! It's a light, fun read, perfect for the beach IMO. Liked it enough to try another!

      Delete
  7. Eeek that SUCKS about photobucket. I don't think I'm super affected yet??? I think my blog button might collapse now though gahghg. And good luck with your GR goal! I'm a bit ahead of mine but SUPER behind on my TBR haah.😂 And I need to work on my Netgalley stats too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeek! Cait from Paper Fury visited my blog! *flails* (I just discovered her blog and think I'm in love....hint: there are dragons and snark. I love dragons. And snark.) Pretty sure that NetGalley is deliberately sabotaging me by constantly sending me emails that I can't resist! What can I say. I'm helpless when it comes to bright, shiny, new books.

      Delete
  8. That's a lot of blog events! Woo! Hope you have a good July and find some great reads.

    Yeah on Photobucket. It got a few WP blogs I follow, too. So very rude of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting so many awesome events, Anna! I need the occasional help to kick my blogging butt back into gear. :)

      Delete
  9. That sounds like alight are with photobucket- hope you get yourself sorted soon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma! I'm working on it, but it might take awhile. :/

      Delete
  10. This was my first year participating in Armchair Book Expo. It will definitely be greatly missed. I had SO much fun with it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that I took part as Armchair Book Expo was so much fun! I'll really miss it next year. :(

      Delete
  11. That Photobucket issue is the worst---I'd heard other people talking about it too. I don't think I have anything over there anymore, but what a mess for those of you who do!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit of a mess but think I can fix everything, it will just take time. What's really annoying is that they didn't warn anyone! Lousy idea that just pissed customers off!

      Delete
  12. Sorry to hear about the photobucket issue. I saw it happens to some of my friends as well. I know it sucks. I hope you get yourself sorted out and everything related to it goes well. Enjoy your books and Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally sucks, but now that I've calmed down a bit (ha!), I've slowly started fixing affected posts. Thanks for the encouraging words! :)

      Delete
  13. Looks like you had a good month. This is how out of it I've been... I didn't know about photobucket and I'm usually on top of those things. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a productive month so hoping I can keep the momentum going!

      Delete
  14. I have so many broken links and images from years of using different blogs with different themes and templates and then melding them into one. I can't bring myself to truly fix them all, so I've just kinda left most as they are. I won't delete them, but tags and categories, I feel, are more important to my blog. It's a nightmare, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My poor template was a total hodge-podge of patches and code so I'm sure I lost quite a bit when I switched to a basic template. Am slowly putting the pieces back together but it's going to take awhile. And yes, it is a bit of a nightmare! :o

      Delete
  15. Ugh, I hate the photobucket problem too. I just realized it last week and was like whhhhaaatttt?!?!?! Here's hoping you can slowly get things fixed *hugs*.
    And Netgalley is so bad at tempting us lol! Good luck and thinking happy thoughts that you can get through your arc tbr. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty sure that Photobucket is evil. Just saying... Thank you for the hug! Needed it. :)

      And yes, NetGalley will tempt you into requesting so many awesome books that your rating will be destroyed. My rating had been going in the wrong direction for weeks now. Oops!

      Delete
  16. You can catch up! Happy July!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I heard about photobucket from Anna at Herding Cats... what a pain. And such a lot of work to replace all the images on the blog. Great that you had some good social interaction over the last month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Photobucket has really pissed bloggers off with their evil shenanigans! But I'm starting to calm down as I've been working my way through my old posts and updating what I can. And last month was awesome for meeting new-to-me bloggers! I'm hoping to keep this going with visits and comments, so fingers crossed I can keep it up!

      Delete
  18. I am so sorry to hear about photobucket. That sounds like it sucks. Glad to see you didn't throw in the towel. I think we all have those kind of setbacks in blogging. If it was easy, every one would blog. Right? Hang in there!
    You did a lot of networking and blog challenges this month, good for you!
    Have a great month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! It does suck, but I'm getting over my anger and decided to recover what I can. Hope you have a great month too! :)

      Delete
  19. Interesting to find out what that Photobucket business was. I had wondered about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems to be hitting more and more bloggers. Photobucket is NOT making any friends with their new policy!

      Delete
  20. Photobucket is a new thing to me. I have so much to learn. I now have Unbreakable by Garcia and I see it was one of your June books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy Unbreakable as much as I did! I'm hoping the author will finish the series soon, as book 3 still hasn't come out.

      Delete
  21. "About a Dog" and "Little French Bistro" sound like promising titles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't read About A Dog yet but really enjoyed Little French Bistro!

      Delete