Monday, September 4, 2017

Book Review: They Both Die At The End

Title:  They Both Die At The End
Author:  Adam Silvera
Release Date:  September 5, 2017
Publisher:  HarperTeen
Source:  Edelweiss

On September 5, a little after midnight, Death-Cast calls Mateo Torrez and Rufus Emeterio to give them some bad news: They're going to die today. 

Mateo and Rufus are total strangers, but, for different reasons, they're both looking to make a new friend on their End Day. 

The good news: There's an app for that. It's called the Last Friend, and through it, Rufus and Mateo are about to meet up for one last great adventure and to live a lifetime in a single day. (Goodreads)

My Review:


This isn't the first story I've read where someone is officially notified that they will die that day, but it's the first time a story like this caused tears. Many tears. More than once. Stupid allergies....

The two main characters are Mateo and Rufus, two teenage boys who are notified shortly after midnight that they will die sometime within the next twenty-four hours.

The two boys couldn't be more different and probably never would have met if it weren't for the Last Friend app. Designed for people looking for company during their final hours, it's sort of like Tinder for the dying.

Mateo and Rufus are the main narrators but we also hear from several secondary characters, both friends and strangers. Some of the chapters are really short, but I enjoyed reading all the different POVs. Really fleshed out the story for me.

Even though we only follow the boys for a short time, it was great getting to know them and watching how they handled their last day. I was actually happy that they found each other and were able to become friends.

The title says that they both die at the end, but do they? I mean, hello, it's in the title so isn't that a major spoiler? Yet I was still on the edge of my seat right up until the final page!

That's the sign of a great writer!

While the story was very well written and the characters were amazing, I was left with several questions. Like, why were the dying called Deckers? Was it because they were on deck, waiting to die? Or because they were about to get "decked" by the Grim Reaper? And how does Death-Cast know who to call? Inquiring minds want to know!

Aside from these minor quibbles, this was an amazing read! I loved how matter of fact everyone was about the Deckers. Restaurants had Decker discounts. Businesses had sprung up to help people enjoy their End Days. There was even a website called CountDowners where Deckers could post details of their End Day, sort of like Twitter but only for the dying. Gotta love the resilience of man!



4 comments:

  1. Now that really sounds interesting. I don't think I've read a story line like that one. I might be putting this one in my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds like such a tear jerker. I added it to my tbr a few days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds neat. And so glad even though the title is a spoiler, it doesn't ruin the book.

    ReplyDelete