Monday, July 10, 2017

Mini Review: Say Goodbye To Survival Mode

Very disappointing.

Synopsis

Packed with straightforward solutions you'll use today and inspirational stories you'll remember for years, Say Goodbye to Survival Mode is a must for any woman who's ever longed for the freedom to enjoy life, not just survive it. (Goodreads)

Quick Take

Felt a little betrayed by this book as I wasn't expecting such a large Christian message woven throughout. I don't mind religious talk in a book if I'm expecting it, but felt that this was a little misleading as nowhere on the cover or in the synopsis does this mention that the strategies would have such a large religious slant. I don't like being preached at or lectured, so couldn't get past that aspect of the book.

Also, for someone who runs a blog about saving money, I found it odd that she mentioned sending her husband's clothes to the dry cleaners and not packing him a lunch for work because she doesn't like to cook. Making a sandwich for lunch isn't exactly cooking.

I find it hard to take advice from someone who doesn't practice what they preach (simple frugality), then tries to shove their religion down my throat.

Very disappointing.


8 comments:

  1. Um, yeah. This book sounds incredibly annoying. No thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted to like it because I like her blog, but I had too many issues with it. :(

      Delete
  2. Probably not my kind of book but thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a bummer when a book sounds good, but is ultimately disappointing.

      Delete
  3. I have to disagree... if you are doing more than 2 things than it is cooking. Sandwich making is cooking... ;) LOL Seriously, I have a feeling I would say the same of the book. I hate to be preached at and I'd question her saving money techniques as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too funny Melissa! If sandwich making is considered cooking, then I'm a master chef! lol

      Delete
  4. Eeesh. This sounds horrible! I'm not a fan of preachy religious books. I get enough of that when they come to my front door handing out pamphlets. Not to mention that she doesn't actually practice being frugal. What was the point of even writing this book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The religion aspect took me a little by surprise as her blog posts aren't that...strident.

      Delete