Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Bookclub Reads: A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

This seems to be one of those books that you either love or hate. I loved it!
Title:  A Man Called Ove
Author:  Fredrik Backman
Release Date:  July 15, 2014
Publisher:  Atria Books
Source:  Borrowed

Meet Ove. He's a curmudgeon - the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. 

He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him "the bitter neighbor from hell." But must Ove be bitter just because he doesn't walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time?

Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove's mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents' association to their very foundations. (Goodreads)


My Review:

This was one of my book club reads as I don't think I would have ever picked it up on my own. But thank goodness for book club, because I really enjoyed this book!

I think that everyone has come across an Ove at some point in their lives. Personally, I've known more than a few - the old curmudgeon who is a stickler for rules, but with a heart of gold once you get to know them.


Poor Ove just wants to be left alone so he can join his beloved wife Sonja, who recently passed away. Too bad his neighbors keep interrupting his plans!

Really loved Ove's new neighbors, who keep butting into his life whether he liked it or not! Especially Parvaneh, an Iranian immigrant married to an easy-going, slightly befuddled Swede. Watching her learn to drive was hilarious! Anyone else think her oldest daughter was a little mini-Ove? Just me? Okay....

And the determined cat who won't leave Ove alone made me smile. I've never known a cat to behave the way this one does, but guess he was special. Thank goodness Parvaneh saved his life!

Overall, I really enjoyed the writing, thought it was well paced, and liked all of the characters. Even Ove! A little embarrassed to admit that I even teared up a time or two....okay, I admit it, I cried.

This seems to be one of those books that you either love or hate, as my book club was split 50-50 on our reactions. I loved it!

If you've read this one, would love to hear what you thought! Did you love Ove as much as I did, or did he annoy you to the point where you couldn't finish reading? What did you think of Parvaneh and her family? She was one of my favorite characters! If you haven't read this one yet, go pick up a copy and be sure to let me know what you think!

20 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed this one! :) It's still on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great. It's the first I've heard of it but I like the sounds of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book was all over the place a few months ago, but now things seem to have settled down. I thought it was a lovely read, so hope you're able to take a look!

      Delete
  3. Yay for book club! It is awesome how it can get you reading things you might have skipped over :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny because I really liked the first two picks, but not the last two. Not thrilled that we don't vote or anything, but that the host for next month gets to choose the book. Sorely tempted to assign something really obnoxious when it's my turn! lol

      Delete
  4. There were people who didn't like it? Wow. I've only heard good things about this one. My own book club will be reading it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was as surprised as you were, as I'd only heard good reviews. :o Looking forward to hearing what you and your book club think of Ove!

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a sad but sweet story. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sad, and one scene kicked me right in the feels! Overall, a story worth reading IMO.

      Delete
  6. I bought this one a few months ago after hearing so many good things. I think the MC will remind me of my grandfather some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ove reminded me a little of one of my uncles, which may have been part of his appeal. Please let me know what you think of the book once you get to it! I love comparing notes. :)

      Delete
  7. I haven't read this, but I am CONSTANTLY seeing this book whenever I'm at work. It's just so super popular! It sounds very sweet and something I might enjoy. I like cats, so that's clearly a plus haha. I'm glad you ended up enjoying it and it even *gasps* caused your eyes to leak! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cat was funny, as he sometimes acted like a dog but at other times was all cat. Thought he was a great secondary character! And yes, there was eye leakage. More than once...

      Delete
  8. I read one of this author's other books and I can see a pattern of writing emerging for the types of characters he writes. Glad to see you enjoyed this book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! I need to take a look at the author's other books since I enjoyed Ove so much!

      Delete
  9. Not sure this is knew I would like, but I would be willing to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be curious to hear what you thought of it if you do decide to give it a try!

      Delete
  10. We just read this for bookclub two months ago. I had heard of it so I was happy it was picked, however, when I read it, I didn't like it. It was just too depressing for me. I mean seriously, how many bad things can happen to one person in their life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that you didn't care for this one. You're right, Ove did have a tough life and several bad things happened to him. For some reason, this didn't bother me and I still enjoyed the overall story. Hope your next bookclub pick is more to your liking! (I haven't liked our last two picks...)

      Delete