Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Book Review Buzz Books 2017 Spring/Summer

Book Review Buzz Books 2017 Spring/Summer
Title:  Buzz Books 2017 Spring/Summer
Release Date:  January 13, 2017
Publisher:  Publishers Lunch
Source:  netGalley

The tenth edition of Buzz Books captures the excitement of Winter Institute and takes it much further: start off a year of new reading discoveries excerpts from 40 talked about Buzz Books due to be published in the months ahead. (Goodreads)



Buzz Books are one of my favorite ways to discover new-to-me authors that I might not have been exposed to any other way. This collection is a big one, so here are a few titles that left me wanting more:

The Last Hack by Christopher Brookmyre

Internationally bestselling author Christopher Brookmyre... is renowned for his black humor, remarkably well-drawn characters, and killer twists. His new Jack Parlabane thriller, The Hack, is his most unstoppable novel yet.

I've always been fascinated by hacking, and the sample grabbed my attention immediately by showing how easy it can be. Can't wait to read this one!

The Marsh King's Daughter by Karen Dionne

The suspense thriller of the year - The Marsh King's Daughter will captivate you from the start and chill you to the bone.

'I was born two years into my mother's captivity. She was three weeks shy of seventeen. If I had known then what I do now, things would have been a lot different. I wouldn't have adored my father.'


Ever wonder what happens to the children of abduction victims? Helena didn't know that her mother had been kidnapped by her father until she was 12, but now she's grown with children of her own and her father has escaped from prison. Whoa!

The Best of Adam Sharp by Graeme Simsion

From the #1 bestselling author of The Rosie Project and The Rosie Effect, an unforgettable new novel about lost love and second chances.

What if an old love, the one who got away, suddenly contacted you? Would you ignore their email, or be tempted to see if there were any sparks left? I think that Adam is about to find out!

Ten Dead Comedians by Fred van Lente

A darkly clever take on Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None and other classics of the genre, Ten Dead Comedians is a marvel of literary ventriloquism, with hilarious comic monologues in the voice of every suspect. It’s also an ingeniously plotted puzzler with a twist you’ll never see coming!

Have to admit that I'm a sucker for And Then There Were None remixes, so am intrigued to see how the author spins this one!

Goodbye, Vitamin by Rachel Khong

A young woman returns home to care for her failing father in this fine, funny, and inescapably touching debut, from an affecting and wonderfully original new literary voice.

This one will probably leave me in tears, but the sample really tugged at my heartstrings. Ruth's father is suffering from Alzheimers and she moves back home to help her mother care for him. As someone who did something similar for my mother-in-law, I can't not read this!

Driving Miss Norma by Tim Bauerschmidt & Ramie Liddle

When Miss Norma was diagnosed with uterine cancer, she was advised to undergo surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy. But instead of confining herself to a hospital bed for what could be her last stay, Miss Norma - newly widowed after nearly seven decades of marriage - rose to her full height of five feet and told the doctor, “I’m ninety years old. I’m hitting the road.”

And so Miss Norma took off on an unforgettable around-the-country journey in a thirty-six-foot motor home with her retired son Tim, his wife Ramie, and their dog Ringo.


While Tim & Ramie's nomadic life intrigued me, I have to admit that Miss Norma is why I want to read this book! I fell in love with her the moment she told her doctors that she was hitting the road instead of going through chemotherapy. Go Miss Norma!

In Vino Duplicitas by Peter Hellman

True crime pairs well with fine wine in this astonishing story of a con man who rides his gift for tasting wine to the highest reaches of society - and then comes crashing down.

How can you not love a good con man? Unless you're the one being conned, I think they're fascinating! And this one has the added twist of making wine snobs look foolish. Call me petty, but I love the idea of them overpaying for counterfeit wine while they look down their noses at me for liking White Zinfandel!


None of these are my usual type of read, but I think that's half the fun! I think I'm most looking forward to reading Driving Miss Norma, as she sounds like my kind of gal! 

37 comments:

  1. The Marsh King's Dayghter sounds very good. I'll have to check it out now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever read a story quite like that, so looking forward to seeing if it lives up to its promise!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of those authors. Hope they are good books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This are all new-to-me authors. 10 Dead Comedians sounds really good because I love the Agatha Christie book it was inspired by. :) #getsocial17 ~Aleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually like mysteries, but have a soft spot for anything And Then There Were None related!

      Delete
  4. This is a neat way to "meet" authors. I'm particularly curious about The Marsh King's Daughter and The Best of Adam Sharp! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those both look good, don't they? I love how unique The Marsh King's Daughter sounds!

      Delete
  5. This does sound like a great way to discover new-to-me authors. I might check this out on NetGalley next season. Hope you have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Fall/Winter Buzz Books are available if you want to check them out! I'm trying to finish up my library books before downloading any more from NetGalley, but it's hard!

      Delete
  6. It's been ages since I read a true crime. That was my bread and butter back in college. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually read true crime, but this one piqued my interest!

      Delete
  7. So many, many books and so little time. GetSocial17

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some really interesting books in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Love discovering new titles I wouldn't have found otherwise!

      Delete
  9. I've never tried reading one of these excerpt collections! Wonder if I'd like that as a way of finding new stuff to read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorite ways to discover new titles, so I'd definitely recommend giving one a try!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for giving us a taste of these upcoming books. Visiting from Romancing the Readers Blog #GetSocial17

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks for stopping by, Ann!

      Delete
  11. The Best of Adam Sharp by Graeme Simsion is on my TBR...loved the Rosie series:)

    #GetSocial17

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read this author before, but loved the sampler!

      Delete
  12. I've read a few true crime and liked them. Thanks for the info too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm really curious about Ten Dead Comedians. I love And Then There Were None. :)

    -Lauren
    #getsocial

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually like Christie, but this one is a favorite for some reason.

      Delete
  14. These fall outwith my typical reading preferences but I love how you get teasers of them all. If I read the teasers and was gripped I'd definitely buy and read the book so it's a great idea! #getsocial17

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the teases are so good that you can't wait to read more!

      Delete
  15. The Marsh King's Daughter sounds like it's going to be a good one. I'm adding it to my list. #getsocial17

    Simply Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the titles at the top of my list, as I love how original it sounds!

      Delete
  16. These authors are all new to me. I hope you like them.
    Nice to meet you. I'm stopping by for #GetSocial17

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you too, Shaz! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  17. I always see these posted on Net Galley but I haven't checked any of them out. Glad to know you think they are worth your while! #getsocial17

    ReplyDelete
  18. All of these books look super interesting! I used to get the Buzz Books off of Netgalley, but I wouldn't ever know what to do with them and they would just make my rating go down. This is a great way to show it! I think I might have to do this myself for the ones I've yet to read. :-)
    -Amy @ burstingwithbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaaand I forgot, but I'm from #getsocial17!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by Nikki! I wasn't sure what to do with them either, but I think I like this method of showcasing certain titles. :)

      Delete