Thursday, June 29, 2017

Blog down! Initiate panic mode! Mayday! Mayday!

run away! run away!
Checked my blog yesterday to see if there were any new comments and was shocked to find it a hot mess!

My background and header images were gone, replaced with a nasty warning from Photobucket that my account was locked and I'd need to upgrade to release my pictures. Clicked on the upgrade button to see what they were charging....what the???? 

$399 a year? 

Nope! Not gonna happen!

Have to admit that I panicked. I didn't know how to fix the background, so quickly threw up one of the generic blogger templates. I hate it, but at least it's not this ugly ransom note from Photobucket:

Photobucket is blackmailing me!

Photobucket gave no warning, which I resent. They didn't even have the decency to email me until almost 10pm last night, so they struck first and then sent notifications later. Shady!

What's even stranger is that some of my pictures that I couldn't access last night are available again, so I can download them to my laptop to fix old posts.

Because I was tired of the aggressive ads every time I logged into Photobucket, I've been slowly updating my old posts. Guess I need to kick that into high gear. That's going to take time. A lot of time.

Honestly, I was ready to throw in the towel last night and just delete the whole thing. Maybe start over somewhere else? People keep raving about Wordpress, so maybe start a new blog over there? But at the same time, I'd hate to lose eight years worth of work.

Not sure what I'm going to do right now. I don't want to do anything rash that I'll later regret, so going to tinker a bit behind the scenes to see what I can salvage. If it's too much, I can always walk away.

This stinks.  

20 comments:

  1. Oh that does stink. What an awful thing for them to do. I've been using the same Blogger template since I starter my blogger account. Hope it doesn't give you anymore problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had the same template for years, with just minor tweaks here and there. Maybe this will give me the kick in the pants I need to update to a new template! Once I straighten everything out of course.

      Delete
  2. Oh man! That's awful. I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been pushing the boundaries of my free account for awhile now so thought it was just me, but apparently they hit everyone with a free account. Not a good way to convince customers to upgrade! Especially at that ridiculous price! :O

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I may have used slightly stronger language when I first saw my blog.....

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It's a crazy price! Used to be something like $9.99 per month, so not sure what they're thinking. And yes, very shady!

      Delete
  5. I use photobucket, but only for when I create a button with a grab code. I've had an account for years and I'm only at 2 percent storage capacity. That's weird that it costs so much because years ago they did things a bit differently and I used to pay for extra storage and it wasn't nearly that much. They have so much more competition now, I'm sure.

    I hate this for you though. What a pain in the butt. Everyone touts Wordpress, but I'm still loyal to Blogger. Wordpress just seems like more work to me. I've worked with it personally and for clients. Having to work in there for clients is probably what turned me off. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm familiar with blogger and don't really want to leave, but haven't made up my mind if I should chuck the whole thing and start fresh. If I do start over, would probably be easier on Wordpress, even though it does look confusing. Not going to do anything rash as I don't want any regrets down the road. :(

      Delete
    2. I have purchased two domains, for True Book Addict and my other site, Gather Together and Read. I found it so much easier to use Blogger's publishing feature to set up the domain. It's under Settings > Publishing (+ Setup a 3rd party URL for your blog - Point your own registered URL to your blog) I have my domains through Go Daddy. So much easier than setting up a website on Wordpress. Of course, if you're just going to use regular Wordpress, without your own domain, it's not AS difficult. But I still find Blogger more user friendly.

      Delete
    3. I've looked at Wordpress before and it seemed a little confusing, but haven't taken an in-depth look yet. I do like Blogger and how easy everything is, but want to leave my options open. I know the Photobucket mess isn't Bloggers fault, but if I shut everything down I'd want to start over somewhere else. Thanks for the info, Michelle! :)

      Delete
  6. I hope that you get it resolved quickly. I sounds like a lot of heartache. I would have hit the panic button for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, not really happy with my reaction as I always thought I was level-headed in an emergency. Guess it's different when it's my blog! ha!

      Delete
  7. Whoa that's crazy on the price. Mine got taken down, too. But my yearly with them was only $72. Not that I was going to pay that.

    I'm on Blogger as well but not their fault. I place it totally on Photobucket. They were jerks. I never even got an email. I just had the ugly mess on the blog I had to click through to see what was happening. Still working on fixing all my side flags. Oy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird that they only wanted $72 from you but almost $400 from me. What a bunch of jerks!

      I know that it's not Bloggers fault but totally Photobucket being shady blackmailers, but if I ever decide to shut down the blog and start over, I'd probably want a fresh start somewhere new. The jury is still out on that though....

      Delete
  8. Just went to post to my blog and found that same problem! Really??? Photobucket ruins our blogs just to get their Money-Hungry point across! I am deleting my PB account - it is horrid, now I have to try to figure out how to fix the template I paid for because PB is out for money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I threw up a new temporary template until I can fix my old posts, then will try to figure out how to fix the template. SO frustrating!!!

      Delete