Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Book Review Buzz Books 2017 YA Spring/Summer

Buzz Books are one of my favorite ways to discover new authors, so I'm incredibly happy that this edition knocks it out of the ballpark with so many awesome reads!
Title:  Buzz Books 2017 YA Spring/Summer
Release Date:  January 13, 2017
Publisher:  Publishers Lunch
Source:  netGalley


Our sixth edition of Buzz Books: Young Adult provides the special excitement of Winter Institute and takes it even further with samples of the best in forthcoming young adult novels months ahead of their actual publication. (Goodreads)


My Review:

Buzz Books are one of my favorite ways to discover new authors, so I'm incredibly happy that this edition knocks it out of the ballpark with so many awesome reads! Here are some of the samples that really got my attention:

The One Memory of Flora Banks by Emily Barr reminded me a little of the movie 50 First Dates. Unlike the movie though, Flora's memory erases itself several times a day. Thankfully this didn't happen until she was ten years old so at least she has those long-term memories to help her get through the day. Then everything changes. She remembers something. A kiss. From her best friend's boyfriend. Uh-oh. Can't wait to read more and see what happens to Flora when she sets off to reconnect with the boy who gave her a new memory!


The next story to catch my eye was Roar by Cora Carmack, the first in a new series. We're introduced to Stormlings, powerful families that can control dangerous, magical storms. Aurora is slated to be the next queen, but has yet to show any trace of the magic needed to control violent storms. Faced with an arranged marriage to a Stormling prince, Aurora searches for an alternative to saving her kingdom while still keeping her secret. Is it possible to steal storm magic? Looking forward to finding out!

This Is Really Happening by Erin Chack isn't my usual type of read, but proved too intriguing to pass up! A collection of non-fiction essays, the sample included the author having her head shaved during chemotherapy. At nineteen. Touching, but also amusing. Made me want to get to know her better.

Laurie Forest's The Black Witch was the next sample to grab my attention. Elloren is the granddaughter of a powerful mage, Like the main character in Roar, Elloren has no power in a world that prizes magical ability. Following a bird one night, she runs into her neighbor's oldest daughter Sage, who disappeared over a year ago. Sage gives Elloren a powerful wand. Suddenly, everything Elloren believed in is called into question and she must make a choice. The sample really piqued my interest and left me wanting more!

Geekerella by Ashley Poston is the final sample that caught my eye. Main character Elle comes complete with the requisite wicked stepmother and stepsisters. A total geek, she is appalled when a teen heartthrob is chosen to play her favorite character in a remake of her favorite sci-fi series. Think of the outrage if the Star Trek reboot cast Justin Bieber as Captain Kirk! Whoa! Really looking forward to this one!


I highly recommend the Buzz Book samplers in order to discover great new reads!





4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these! I'm really curious about Roar because I'm a Carmack fan. But you have my interest piqued in The One Memory of Flora Banks and The Black Witch as well. I'll have to keep an eye out for these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like some great reads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some great sounding titles, The Black Witch in particular caught my attention. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete