I'm NOT Embarrassed to be a Book Blogger | Alexia's Books and Such: I'm NOT Embarrassed to be a Book Blogger

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, July 8, 2016

I'm NOT Embarrassed to be a Book Blogger

The book blogging community has weathered worse and we'll get through this as well, but what's new is the feelings of embarrassment. What's up with that? Why would the actions of one blogger have such a far-reaching impact on other bloggers?

Seems like the book blogging world has been hit with yet another scandal.

While I usually miss the drama because I'm not as plugged in as I should be, a Facebook post from Herding Cats & Burning Soup piqued my interest enough to go blog hopping.

Yep. Another scandal. What makes this one a little different is that a well known blogger wrote a post saying that now she's embarrassed to be a book blogger. That got me scratching my head, especially when other book bloggers chimed in with their embarrassment.

Why on earth would anyone be embarrassed to be a book blogger?

Just because a book blogger was illegally selling ARCs at inflated prices?

The only embarrassing thing about this is that people actually thought that $20 was a reasonable price for shipping three books! 

But otherwise? What's there to be embarrassed about? One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch, girl! (points if you get the Osmond reference!)

The book blogging community has weathered worse and we'll get through this as well, but what's new is the feelings of embarrassment. What's up with that? Why would the actions of one blogger have such a far-reaching impact on other bloggers?

One psycho author doesn't mean all authors are cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

One snotty PR person doesn't mean all PR people are snotty.

One rude encounter doesn't mean you have to burn all your bridges.

So why should one greedy blogger tar all of us with the same brush?

Makes no sense to me, but in the meantime I'm proud to be a book blogger! No, they can't take that away from me...


12 comments:

  1. You said it! I feel like i need a book blogger flag to wave about in support of your post. One bad apple doesn't spoil the bunch... *high five*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to admit that I got lost in old Osmond videos for awhile there, so high five to someone who got the reference! And a Book Blogger flag would be awesome!

      Delete
  2. Ha! I repeat the monkey mantra in my head all the time. I agree with you though. Just because one person is crazy doesn't mean we all are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Not sure why this scandal has everyone's panties in a bunch, but it will blow over soon enough. And I really need to get a poster with the monkey mantra on it for my office! ha!

      Delete
  3. I had no clue this was a thing either. *sigh* People are too quick to hop on the "Oh yeah, shame! Shame!" train.

    I'm not proud to be a book blogger. It's just a thing I enjoy doing. But I'm not going to bury my head in the sand and beg for forgiveness for the actions of someone I don't even know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually miss all the drama, but the whole embarrassment thing got to me for some reason. I've seen "scandals" come and go over the years and we've always survived. I just need to keep repeating the monkey mantra! :)

      Delete
  4. While I was appalled to learn what said blogger was doing, and I think it does add some taint to our community, I am still proud to be a book blogger. Very proud. I have since read the "embarrassed to be a book blogger" post and I'm kind of scratching my head. I still have plenty of authors and publicists contact me for reviews and tour stops. I never sense an attitude of mistrust. Maybe it's because I've been doing it for seven years now. I don't know. But I never get a sense of authors/publicists rolling their eyes when book bloggers are mentioned, as was sort of implied in that post. I think authors and publicists know that there are plenty of trustworthy and reputable bloggers still in our community...and we must be proud, with integrity, to continue showing them this.

    Great post, Terri. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whilst deeply disappointed by the actions of the blogger who saw fit to take advantage in this way I can't say I'm embarrassed to say i'm a book blogger and to be honest am a bit surprised by this reaction. Still, each to their own, what she feels she feels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter what you do in the world, there is always that one person that gives it a bad name. So, we all should be embarrassed about everything? Nope. I'm not ashamed to say I'm a book blogger. I enjoy all the time I spend out here with authors and other book lovers. I'm proud to be a blogger! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u