Blog Tour: Little is Left to Tell by Steven Hendricks | Alexia's Books and Such: Blog Tour: Little is Left to Tell by Steven Hendricks

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Blog Tour: Little is Left to Tell by Steven Hendricks

The book starts off with the gentle tale of a rabbit family. Everything seems lovely...until the bombs drop. As the bunnies deal with the aftermath, Mr. Fin makes a sudden appearance in his garage, tinkering with his boat.  Huh?
Title:  Little is Left to Tell
Author:  Steven Hendricks
Release Date:  October 7, 2014
Publisher:  Starcherone Books
Source:  Review copy received from TLC Book Tours

Readers enter a narrative rabbit hole through bedtime stories that Mr. Fin, a man with dementia, conjures for his long-lost son. 

Virginia the Wolf writes her last novel to lure her daughter home. 

A rabbit named Hart Crane must eat words to speak, while passing zeppelins drop bombs. 

Mr. Fin tries to read the past in marginalia and to rebuild his son from boat parts. The haunting fables in this lyrical first novel trace the fictions that make and unmake us. (Goodreads)

Review:

To be honest, this was a tough read. While beautifully written, it felt disjointed and confusing to me and I struggled to finish.

The book starts off with the gentle tale of a rabbit family. Everything seems lovely...until the bombs drop. As the bunnies deal with the aftermath, Mr. Fin makes a sudden appearance in his garage, tinkering with his boat.

Huh?


What happened to the rabbits? Who is Mr. Fin? The sudden switch between stories and characters left me scratching my head and it took me a moment to catch on.

This story reminded me of a stream of consciousness novel that I once picked up and couldn't finish, but the tale of the rabbits kept me intrigued enough to keep going.

I'm not sure if it was because the story demanded too much concentration or that Fin's condition hit a little too close to home (my MIL had dementia), but reading this story was not the enjoyable escape I normally expect from a book.

While it's not exactly to my taste, I'm sure that other readers will be able to appreciate Fin's skewed remembrances of beloved stories. And as I mentioned earlier, the author does have a way with words. It was just a little too demanding for me and left me floundering.


About the Author:

Steven Hendricks
Steven Hendricks lives in Olympia, WA with his wife and two children. He teaches writing and book arts at The Evergreen State College.

His work has appeared in The Denver Quarterly (2000), Conjunctions (2001), Fold: The Reader ( 2002), and The Encyclopedia Project VOL. 3 (Sidebrow, forthcoming).

He earned his MFA in Writing at The School of the Art Institute of Chicago in 2000.

Little Is Left To Tell is his first novel.

Visit Steven at his website



TLC Book Tours


3 comments:

  1. Like you I have a family member with dementia. As a result I've found myself oddly drawn to book featuring characters with the condition but this sounds way too disjointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, it sounds weird. Does the world really need another story about bunnies?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book for the tour.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u