Thursday, May 12, 2016

Buzz Books 2016 YA Fall/Winter

Buzz Books 2016 YA Fall/Winter
Title:  Buzz Books 2016 YA Fall/Winter
Release Date:  May 2, 2016
Publisher:  Publisher's Lunch
Source:  NetGalley

This fifth edition of Buzz Books: Young Adult includes substantial pre-publication excerpts from 20 forthcoming young adult and middle grade books. Now everyone can share the same access to the newest YA voices the publishing industry is broadcasting for the fall/winter season.

You will find a full range of YA titles previewed here - fantasy, humor, romance, and dystopian - and you will find works for tweens and middle-grade readers. As always, many Buzz Books are sure to make bestseller and “best of” lists. (Goodreads)


My Review:

Buzz Books are one of my favorite ways to discover new books and I eagerly await each new release! Here are some of the samples that caught my eye in this edition.

Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake has the unique premise that really piqued my interest! In every generation, a set of triplets is born: three queens, all equal heirs to the crown and each possessing a coveted magic. On their sixteenth birthday, they must fight for the crown and the survivor becomes queen. Wow!

The next story that really intrigued me is The Hawkweed Prophecy by Irena Brignull. A switched at birth premise, but one of the girls is a powerful witch destined to rule them all! Apparently Fate steps in to make sure the girls meet and the prophecy comes to pass. The sample was so good that I can't wait to read the rest!

Next on my wishlist is The Forgetting by Sharon Cameron. The main character, Nadia, lives in a walled city where every twelve years the citizens undergo a collective Forgetting. Like amnesia, they lose all memories of themselves, their lives, and their families. Nadia is unique in that she has never forgotten. Can she find out why and if there's any way to prevent it from happening again? 

Since Lauren Oliver is one of my favorite authors, I was excited to read the Replica excerpt. I'm a sucker for stories about clones and this one sounds fascinating! The physical book is supposedly a "flip book" where you turn the book one way to read Gemma's story, then upside down to read Lyra's story. Sounds like an annoying gimmick, so glad that the ebook is a normal read. Looking forward to reading this one, as I really liked both girls!

The last sample to whet my appetite surprised me a little, as I didn't think I'd like it. The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett by Chelsea Sedoti isn't my usual type of read, but I fell for the main character after only a few pages! I mean, how can you not love a girl who immediately assumes her brother has become a zombie because he's acting weird? Or that her best friend has been replaced with a pod person when she disagrees with her about something? Hawthorn is quirky, and I love quirky!

I should probably stop reading Buzz Book samplers because my wishlist is getting out of control, but it's one of my guilty pleasures! Did any of the new samples catch your eye? Which ones?


***


3 comments:

  1. Ooooo! Some of these sound really great! I didn't even know this existed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoy these. I don't think I could handle reading these, I'd want the whole book! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful selection, all of which appeal to me though I do have some reservations about Replica as I'm not sure how I'd feel reading a book written in such a way. Hmm, probably something that we would annoy me but I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete