Buzz Books 2016 Spring/Summer #BookReview | Alexia's Books and Such: Buzz Books 2016 Spring/Summer #BookReview

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Buzz Books 2016 Spring/Summer #BookReview

 photo Buzz Bks 2016.jpg Title:  Buzz Books 2016 Spring/Summer
Release Date:  January 14, 2016
Publisher:  Publishers Lunch
Source:  NetGalley

Our eighth Buzz Books edition evokes all the excitement of Winter Institute with substantial pre-publication excerpts from 40 adult titles.

Enjoy access to the newest voices the publishing industry is broadcasting for the upcoming season as you discover breakout books from established authors, sparkling debuts from soon-to-become literary stars, and fascinating memoirs and inspirational nonfiction. (Goodreads)


My Review:

Buzz Books are one of my favorite ways to discover new authors! Even though not every sample may appeal to you, you know that there's going to be something in there that you'll probably love! Here are a few stories that caught my eye:


The Choices We Make by Karma Brown isn't my normal type of read, but the excerpt really grabbed me and I want to find out what happens next! It's about two life-long friends, Kate and Hannah. Kate offers to be a surrogate for Hannah, who is unable to have a child of her own. Then tragedy strikes and their lives may never be the same. Wowza!

Another story outside my usual type of read is There Will Be Stars by Bill Coffey. The twist that caught my interest is that the main character doesn't die in a horrible accident, but rather finds himself returning to the beginning of his last day. Sounds a little like the movie Groundhog Day. Curious to see what happens next and find out the story behind the others trapped with him!

While it's been years since I last read Jane Eyre, I remember that I didn't really care for it. I think that I'd like the retelling in Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye much more. In this version, Jane is a spunky, heroic serial killer. I like her already!

Sometimes Fate seems to step in and make things right or give you a second chance. At least, that's the vibe I got from If I Forget You by Christopher Greene. Two ex-lovers have a chance meeting on the street 21 years after being driven apart. The sampler left me wanting to know more! Why were they driven apart? Are they now happy or still thinking about what might have been?

Joe Hill's The Fireman has the interesting premise of a worldwide pandemic that causes spontaneous combustion. There is no antidote and it's highly contagious, so you can imagine the panic. While I've never read Joe Hill before, the sample shows his incredible talent and left me wanting more!

Remember the movie Sliding Doors? The Versions of Us by Laura Barnett reminds me a little of that, as it's different versions of life. Taking a left turn instead of a right. Chance encounters. Different strands of spaghetti strings. Full of possibilities and what might have beens, I found it fascinating!

While not every story was for me, I added several to my wishlist! If you've read this sampler, would love to hear which stories caught your eye!







2 comments:

  1. I really didn't need to read this post right now. Now I want to add some books to my tbr list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the only downside about these books...they make my wishlist grow! But it's a good problem, right?

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u