Bitter Bite by Jennifer Estep #BookReview | Alexia's Books and Such...: Bitter Bite by Jennifer Estep #BookReview

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Bitter Bite by Jennifer Estep #BookReview

Bitter Bite by Jennifer EstepTitle:  Bitter Bite
Author:  Jennifer Estep
Release Date:  February 23, 2016
Publisher:  Pocket Books
Source:  Review copy provided by publisher via Edelweiss

Which is stronger: blood ties or a battle-tested friendship?

Wielding my potent Ice and Stone elemental magic will only get me so far - my real secret is my tight-knit makeshift family, a motley crew of cops and criminals, dwarves and playboys. 

My foster brother Finnegan Lane is my right-hand man, but when his suddenly not-dead relative comes back into the picture, I’m the one on the outside looking in.

It’s funny how life works: one minute your best friend is rock-steady, and the next he’s doe-eyed and buying into this whole loving-relative routine to the point of ignoring you. (Goodreads)


My Review:

The newest book in The Elemental Assassin series starts off with a unique twist, with Gin digging up a grave on a dark & snowy night. And not just any grave, but the grave of her mentor's ex-wife! From the very first sentence, you know that Bitter Bite won't disappoint!

You've really got to feel for Gin. She's had a hard life and suffered more than most would be able to bear, but still managed to rebuild and surround herself with people who love and care for her. 

One of her staunchest supporters has always been Finn, the foster brother who always has her back. Now it's Gin's turn to have his back, no matter how badly he treats her or how much she wants to punch him for acting like a gullible idiot. Brothers! Sheesh!

While I can understand why Finn might react the way he did, I had a hard time believing that a successful con man would be so trusting. Especially considering the way he was raised and the life he's led! If people that I loved and trusted had doubts, I'd at least hear them out. Poor, delusional Finn!

Have to admit that this is one of my favorite series, and I love how Gin has evolved over the years! Sure, she's a tough-as-nails assassin who's the reluctant leader of the underworld, but she's also a wounded soul who's doing the best she can with the cards she's been dealt.

This is another great installment with an interesting plot, fast-paced action, and an ending that will knock your socks off!

This is #14 in the series and while I think you could read it as a stand alone, I'd recommend reading the series in order so you can see how the characters have changed over the years. Already looking forward to the next book, as the series is just that good!

Previous reviews:

Spider's Trap (#13)
Poison Promise (#11)
The Spider (#10)
Heart of Venom (#9)
By a Thread (#6)
Spider's Revenge (#5)
Spider's Bite (#1)







2 comments:

  1. I really need to read more books like this! They're my favorite and yet I never make time for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo. I'm soooo behind in the series and I can't believe there are this many books! LOL! Glad you are still enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u