New challenges for the coming year | Alexia's Books and Such: New challenges for the coming year

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

New challenges for the coming year

Even though I didn't do very well with my reading challenges last year, couldn't resist signing up for some new challenges for 2016. Have signed up for four so far, and fingers crossed I don't give in to temptation and sign up for even more!

Blogger Shame Challenge
The Blogger Shame Challenge seems to have been made for me, as my TBR piles are totally out of control! I feel bad for ignoring so many review books and really hoping that the shame will be enough to motivate me to catch up! You can see my original sign up post for more details.

***

What's In A Name Challenge
I've taken part in the What's In A Name Challenge for several years now, but rarely finish all the categories. I think my main problem is that I never have a plan. Just leaving things up to fate to fill the categories hasn't been working, so I need to plan better this year!

The Details:

The challenge runs from January to December. During this time, you choose a book to read from each of the following categories (examples of books you could choose are in brackets):

  • A country (try not to use ‘Africa’!) Suggestions: Daphne Du Maurier’s Jamaica Inn, Xiaolu Guo’s I Am China, Martin Wagner’s Deutschland)
  • An item of clothing (Su Dharmapala’s Saree, Ann Brashare’s The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants, Javier Moro’s El Sari Rojo; Pierre Lemaitre’s Vestido De Novia)
  • An item of furniture (Marghanita Laski’s The Victorian Chaise-Longue; C S Lewis’s The Silver Chair; Goslash;hril Gabrielsen’s The Looking-Glass Sisters)
  • A profession (Adriana Trigiani’s The Shoemaker’s Wife; Mikhail Elizarov’s The Librarian)
  • A month of the year (Elizabeth Von Arnim’s The Enchanted April; Rhoda Baxter’s Doctor January)
  • A title with the word ‘tree’ in it (Ai Mi’s Under The Hawthorn Tree; Elle Newmark’s The Sandalwood Tree)

I really like these categories this year, and am looking forward to finding titles to complete the challenge!

***

eBook Reading Challenge
The one challenge that I usually have good luck finishing is the  eBook Reading Challenge. I'm shooting for 25 books again this year.

***

Also taking part in the Goodreads Reading Challenge. I didn't do very well in 2015, but decided to shoot for the moon and set a 100 book goal for 2016!

Wish me luck!








9 comments:

  1. Good luck! I only ever do the Goodreads challenge these days. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably shouldn't sign up for so many, but I have challengitis and can't seem to resist! Good luck with your Goodreads goal!

      Delete
  2. I only signed up for the goodreads challenge, but I think it's a good idea to sign up for more. They work as incentive hehe

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that I'm motivated to actually finish them this year! Last year was kind of a bust for me, but I have high hopes for 2016!

      Delete
  3. Ooh. The shame one sounds like a great challenge. I hate to admit it... I do have a few of those. *sigh* I did sign up for the number of books this year with Goodreads too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of the Shame challenge! Plus, Anna will make it fun, so I should be able to complete this one. Good luck with your Goodreads challenge!

      Delete
  4. Ooh, looking forward to this years What's In A name - aren't there some great categories? I look forward to reading your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the categories she came up with this year! I just need to plan things better so I can actually complete it this time. Good luck!

      Delete
  5. Some of the first challenges I joined in on pre-blog were like the name one. It was a good time. Best of luck with all of your challenges!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u