Led Astray: The Best of Kelley Armstrong #BookReview | Alexia's Books and Such: Led Astray: The Best of Kelley Armstrong #BookReview

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Led Astray: The Best of Kelley Armstrong #BookReview

Led Astray:  The Best of Kelley ArmstrongTitle:  Led Astray:  The Best of Kelley Armstrong
Author:  Kelley Armstrong
Release Date:  September 15, 2015
Publisher:  Tachyon Publications
Source:  NetGalley

Two brand new tales anchor this wide-ranging collection from one of urban fantasy's most successful authors. Here is the first time that best-selling fantasy, YA, and crime author Kelley Armstrong has had her stories collected from Otherworld and beyond. 

With her signature twists and turns, Armstrong gives a fresh spin on city-dwelling vampires, werewolves, and zombies, while also traveling further afield, to a post-apocalyptic fortress, a superstitious village, a supernatural brothel, and even to feudal Japan.

With tales that range from humorous to heart-stopping, these are the stories that showcase Kelley Armstrong at her versatile best. (Goodreads)

My Review:

Kelley Armstrong is one of my favorite writers, so I'm happy that she has a new collection of short stories available! Anthologies are another favorite of mine, so favorite author + favorite genre = a happy reader!


Pleased to discover that I've only read one of these stories previously and the rest were new to me. Some set in the same world as her Otherworld, Cainsville, or Darkness Rising Universes, but several stand all on their own. All in all, a nice mix!

One of the standout stories was Last Stand, which surprised me by turning left when I expected it to turn right. Love it when a story surprises me!

I also enjoyed how two of the stories, Gabriel's Gargoyles and Devil May Care, were connected. Both set in the Cainsville Universe, they fill in some of the gaps for those reading the series but can also stand alone. Nicely done!

The Door was another favorite, where a young girl is raised by loving parents but warned never to open the front door. While her parents never said anything, she was positive that something terrible lay on the other side. Then one day, after her parents are both gone, she must make the decision whether or not to finally open the door to see what's actually on the other side. 

Unlike most collections which have a few duds, I can honestly say that every story in this collection is a winner! If you've never read Kelley before, this would be a great introduction! And if you're already a fan, this makes a nice addition to your collection. In other words, you need this book!









2 comments:

  1. I've never read an Armstrong book but I need to. I'm still not sure about this one though. I don't like short stories. There's not enough meat in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soo so glad to see you enjoyed the antho. :) I didn't realize this was an antho at first, until a few days ago. I'm going to have to add it to my want list. :)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u