Pinterest Rich Pins - Bloggiesta Mini-Challenge | Alexia's Books and Such: Pinterest Rich Pins - Bloggiesta Mini-Challenge

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Pinterest Rich Pins - Bloggiesta Mini-Challenge

How to add Pinterest Rich Pins (for Blogspot blogs)

During a Twitter chat back in March, someone had asked for Pinterest tips. I casually mentioned that Pinterest brought me the best social media traffic after I had installed Rich Pins. Several people were interested in learning more, so Suey asked if I'd be interested in hosting a Bloggiesta mini-challenge. So here we are!

Full disclosure:  I'm no expert on Rich Pins or Pinterest, but am willing to share what I learned and, if nothing else, can at least point you in the right direction.


What are Rich Pins?

Rich Pins add extra detail to your pins and make them stand out a little. The easiest way to spot a Rich Pin is that they have a little picture of the pinner and there's a headline in bold type.

Pinterest also seems to give more exposure to Rich Pins over regular pins, and I know that my Pinterest traffic exploded after switching.

There are five types of Rich Pins:  movie, recipe, article, product, and place. I chose article, as that seemed to be the best fit for a book blog.

How-to Add Rich Pins

There are instructions on Pinterest on how to install Rich Pins, but have to admit that they're kind of confusing. So I did what any good little pinner would do and searched Pinterest itself! The two posts that helped me the most were by Hello Brio Studio and Clothed in Scarlet.

My instructions are for adding article Rich Pins to Blogger (Blogspot), because that was my experience. If you want to add another type of Rich Pin or have Wordpress, there are several tutorials available in Pinterest.

Step 1:

Add meta tags in order to prep your blog. Don't panic, as it's actually pretty easy!
  1. Go to settings
  2. Click on Search Preferences (near the bottom)
  3. Under Meta tags, click Edit 
  4. Change Enable Search Description option to yes
  5. Add a description of your blog if you like
  6. Click Save Changes

Step 2:



Step 3:

Time to update your HTML. Don't worry, you'll be fine because you've already backed up your blog!
  1. Click on Template
  2. Click Edit HTML
  3. Find this code: b:includable id=’post’ var=’post’> (easiest way to find is by using CNTL F)
  4. Click enter a few times after this code
  5. Open notepad or a blank page and paste the following:

    *meta expr:content='data:post.title' property='og:title'/>
    *meta expr:content='data:blog.metaDescription' property='og:description'/>
    *meta content='article' property='og:type'/>
    *meta expr:content='data:blog.url' property='og:url'/>
    *meta expr:content='data:blog.title' property='og:site_name'/>
    *meta expr:content='data:post.timestampISO8601' property='article:published_time'/>
    *meta content='Books' property='article:section'/>
    *b:loop values='data:post.labels' var='label'>
    *meta expr:content='data:label.name' property='article:tag'/>
    */b:loop>

  6. See all the asteriks * at the beginning of each line? Change those to a <. If you're not a book blog, change the word "books" to whatever your blog focus is, then copy and paste after the first code. (sorry, but I couldn't get the code to show up otherwise)
  7. Save Template

How To Validate Rich Pins

Go to the Pinterest Rich Pin Validator. This is the easy part and the instructions are pretty straightforward.

Paste a URL from one of your blog posts into the box and click Validate.

Choose "HTML Tags" in the pop-up box and click Apply Now.

That's it! Pinterest says that they'll send you an approval email, but I never received one and my pins slowly started to transition to Rich Pins a few days later. Took a little over 2 weeks for all of my pins to update.


Results

You should start seeing results soon, so be patient. I used to be thrilled if I had one or two repins, but now I'm getting hundreds! My best performing pin is from a book review I posted at the beginning of the year, which has had over 30,000 impressions and 1,000+ repins!

According to Google Analytics, Pinterest has become my number one referrer! And I don't even spend a lot of time on Pinterest, so can only imagine what my numbers would look like if I changed my focus!


The Challenge 

Do you have a Pinterest account? If so, why not give Rich Pins a try? Check out my Pinterest account if you'd like to see what a Rich Pin looks like for yourself. And if you decide to switch to Rich Pins, leave your Pinterest link in the comments so I can cheer you on!








5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much. Whilst I have had a Pinterest account for a while now it is only in the last few weeks I've started doing anything with it and to be honest I'm finding it all a bit confusing. Away to visit you there, thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this tutorial. I've been meaning to start a board for my blog and pin all my blogposts for a while. This is going to be so useful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My eyes are spinning. I've never heard of Rich Pins and I'm not sure what they do. Thanks for the tip. I might try this one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad my post helped you! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u