The Accident Season by Moira Fowley-Doyle #BookReview | Alexia's Books and Such: The Accident Season by Moira Fowley-Doyle #BookReview

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Saturday, August 8, 2015

The Accident Season by Moira Fowley-Doyle #BookReview

Accident Season book reviewTitle:  Accident Season
Author:  Moira Fowley-Doyle
Release Date:  August 18, 2015
Publisher:  Kathy Dawson Books
Source:  Penguin Random House First Reads program

It's the accident season, the same time every year. Bones break, skin tears, bruises bloom.

The accident season has been part of seventeen-year-old Cara's life for as long as she can remember. Towards the end of October, foreshadowed by the deaths of many relatives before them, Cara's family becomes inexplicably accident-prone. They banish knives to locked drawers, cover sharp table edges with padding, switch off electrical items - but injuries follow wherever they go, and the accident season becomes an ever-growing obsession and fear.

But why are they so cursed? And how can they break free? (Goodreads)

My Review:

The Accident Season has an interesting premise and after reading the synopsis, I wasn't sure if this story was going to be fantasy, horror, or fiction. It does seem strange that the family is cursed with accidents every October, but maybe it's become a self-fulfilling prophecy? Hard to say.

Cara and her family and friends are a strange group of characters. Her mother is an eccentric artist with purple hair, and her best friend is a tarot card reader, rumored to be a witch. Only her older sister Alice seems "normal", and she fiercely denies that the Accident Season is real.

Not sure what to make of this story, as it was a little bit of a mish-mash. Almost like the author wasn't sure what genre she was writing. And while the premise was intriguing, it seemed to take an awful long time before anything happened. I tend to like my plots done at a faster pace.

We do finally get an explanation for the Accident Season towards the end of the book, but it sort of fell flat for me. I wasn't all that invested in the characters, so maybe that had something to do with it?

While this was an original story with an interesting premise, it was a little too unusual for my taste. I know that several people have loved it, but guess it's just not my cup of tea.









6 comments:

  1. Well, at last it gave you a reason for the accident seasoneven if it was a lame one. Too bad it didn't turn out being a great read. It sounds very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do a nice job talking about a book you didn't particularly like. I appreciate that you give specific reasons the book didn't appeal to you. That helps me decide whether I would like the book or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cie la vie. That's why there's salt and pepper on the table. Not every book is for every one. Admittedly I've read the synopsis on this one too just not the book as of yet. Still on the wish list, we shall see....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think like you, this one is probably too unusual for my tastes, sorry you didn't enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one. I've read so many mixed reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm.... I don't think it's for me. But I'm sure there are those that would love it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u