Cat Thursday: Tortitude | Alexia's Books and Such...: Cat Thursday: Tortitude

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Cat Thursday: Tortitude


Cat Thursday
Welcome to Cat Thursday, hosted by Michelle at The True Book Addict! Cat Thursday is a way to share fun pictures, tidbits, and news of all things cat related!


The first time I picked the foster kittens up from the vet after a check-up, one of the vet techs mentioned that Tortellini was a handful and hissed during the entire exam. I was surprised, as I'd never heard anything out of her except purrs, chirps, and meows.

This was the first time I'd ever heard of tortitude.

What?
You looking at me?

Tortitude - Among cat owners there is considerable talk about tortoiseshell cats having a personality set apart from other colorations. This is referred to as "tortitude". Tortoiseshell cats are said to be strong-willed, fiercely independent, hot-tempered and very possessive of their owners. They are also said to be more vocal and likely to hiss, meow loudly or purr strongly to make their needs known. (Wikipedia)



What are you looking at?
What?
While I never heard Tortellini hiss or ever saw her in a temper, she's incredibly vocal and has scolded me more than once. And rules? Those were obviously for the other kittens, not her!

Rules are for the other kitties, not me!
What do you mean I'm not allowed on the desk?

Yep, Tortellini definitely has tortitude! Pretty sure that she's the reincarnation of a spoiled princess!

She's also incredibly affectionate, with both me and her littermates. She loves to be rubbed under her chin, has an incredible purr, and we've had several lovely conversations. Smart as a whip, she's going to make a great addition to someone's home!


Princess Sassypants
sorry, I couldn't resist!

Do you know any tortoiseshell cats? Do they have the infamous tortitude? I'd never heard of this before, but now I'm a total believer!









6 comments:

  1. She is so cute! I've never had a tortoise shell kitty...only Calico. I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever own one. We would get along, as I'm strong-willed and fiercely independent too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your last picture's allusion to Titanic. That's awesome, lol. I've said many times, but I'll say it again, your kitties are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of tortitude, but I have a tortoiseshell cat, and she is definitely strong willed. She is very vocal and likes to play rough. But she can also be affectionate and cuddly. She loves to have her head rubbed. I guess she's true to her color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had not heard about this but I'm a strong believer that a cats personality depends on its breed and coloring. I forgot how dominant and territorial striped cats are till we got Belly. Argh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Despite having had tortoiseshell cats I'd never heard of tortitude but it doesn't surprise me to learn of it as one of our tortoiseshell cats in particular was full of attitude ..... or as I've known learnt tortitude.

    Purrfect post, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL Torties and Calicos are...something else. I've had both in the house and they're definitely a class of their own :D

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u