My Book Haul 7/25/15 | Alexia's Books and Such...: My Book Haul 7/25/15

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Saturday, July 25, 2015

My Book Haul 7/25/15

My Book Haul

In need of a new way to showcase titles, I decided that My Book Haul seems like a good fit. I like giving books a little special attention as sometimes it can be awhile before I'm able to review them. Sad to say, but some get put on the shelf and gather a little dust before I'm able to give them the love they deserve. I've included links to Goodreads if you want more information.

For Review:

This was a nice surprise in my mailbox as I'd forgotten that I'd accepted a review copy. Oops! Good thing I've started writing titles down! It's a little outside my usual genres, but sounded intriguing.

The Uninvited by Cat Winters
The Uninvited by Cat Winters

From the award-winning author of In the Shadow of Blackbirds comes a stunning new novel - a masterfully crafted story of love, loss, and second chances. Set during the fear and panic of the Great Influenza of 1918, The Uninvited is part gothic ghost-story, part psychological thriller, perfect for those who loved The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield or The Vanishing by Wendy Webb.


NetGalley:


I've been good and stayed off NetGalley for awhile, but somehow this one caught my eye and I just had to request it! Can you imagine if countries actually did this? If the world leaders had their children held hostage in order to maintain the peace? What a fascinating concept!

Scorpion Rules by Erin Bow
Scorpion Rules by Erin Bow

A world battered by climate shift and war turns to an ancient method of keeping peace: the exchange of hostages. The Children of Peace - sons and daughters of kings and presidents and generals - are raised together in small, isolated schools called Prefectures. There, they learn history and political theory, and are taught to gracefully accept what may well be their fate: to die if their countries declare war.

***

This was a review request from the publisher and the synopsis really caught my eye! When I requested an ebook instead of a physical book, they were nice enough to hook me up on NetGalley. I know I shouldn't be accepting any more requests, but this one sounded weird enough that I just have to read it!

The Beautiful Bureaucrat by Helen Phillips
The Beautiful Bureaucrat by Helen Phillips

A young wife's new job pits her against the unfeeling machinations of the universe in this dazzling first novel Ursula K. Le Guin hails as "funny, sad, scary, beautiful. I love it."



What did you receive this week?










10 comments:

  1. I didn't receive any books this week, but I started reading Someone by Alice McDermott. It's very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever read Alice McDermott. Hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  2. The Uninvited has such a gorgeous cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's beautiful, yet spooky. Love those!

      Delete
  3. LOL I've so done that. I try to write review titles down right away (adding them to my Goodreads currently reading list) because whew, yeah, I got a few too many surprises now and again. lol

    Hope you enjoy your new reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to be more vigilant about writing down review requests. Got another one in the mail that I forgot about, but found in my sent emails. Another oops! lol

      Delete
  4. These are all so new to me. I've not heard anything of them. Hope you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! Hope they're as good as they sound!

      Delete
  5. The concept of "hosting' royal children in different countries has been around in different forms for centuries. The Scorpion Rules sounds like an interesting update on the concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never knew that concept was real, so pretty fascinating to hear that! Thanks Bea!

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u