Friday, July 31, 2015

Awake by Natasha Preston #Book #Review

Awake book reviewTitle:  Awake
Author:  Natasha Preston
Release Date:  August 4, 2015
Publisher:  Sourcebooks Fire
Source:  NetGalley

Scarlett doesn’t remember anything before the age of five. Her parents say it’s from the trauma of seeing her house burn down, and she accepts the life they’ve created for her without question - until a car accident causes Scarlett to start remembering pieces of an unfamiliar past.

When a new guy moves into town, Scarlett feels an instant spark. But Noah knows the truth of Scarlett’s past, and he’s determined to shield her from it...because Scarlett grew up in a cult called Eternal Light, controlled by her biological parents.

And they want her back. (Goodreads)

My Review:

Awake is an interesting story about an ordinary teenage girl who turns out to be anything but.

Scarlett seems to think that she's pretty ordinary though, aside from not remembering anything before the age of four. She seems to think this is a big deal, but I don't. I mean, who remembers much from their toddler years?

I know I don't, so couldn't really see what all the fuss was about and why people seemed so shocked. And when the cute new boy asks you to tell him something about yourself, why would that be the first thing that pops to mind? Weird.

The story is told from both Scarlett and Noah's POVs, but was easy to follow thanks to helpful chapter headings. I really liked seeing things from Noah's POV, especially when it came to his background and how he was raised.

Found the whole cult aspect of the story interesting, more so than Noah and Scarlett getting to know one another at the beginning of the book. There is the dreaded insta-love that annoys so many people, but was it really insta-love or something a little shadier?

There were parts of the story that seemed a little strange to me, but made sense later as we got more information. I did find the behavior of her parents a little odd at times and thought that they would be more protective, especially considering Scarlett's history. Maybe more like the parents in Spy Kids? I know that there aren't any secret agents in this story, but at least prepare your child and give her the tools to protect herself!

Overall, I found this an interesting story. Thought Scarlett should have stood up for herself a little more and not been so passive, but kept reminding myself that she was a teenage girl and they aren't terribly assertive at the best of times, much less in traumatic situations.

The ending hinted at a sequel, but I have mixed feelings on whether or not I want to see what happens next. If you've read this one, would love to hear what you thought!








8 comments:

  1. Your thoughts on this book mirror mine almost exactly. The whole focus on her not remembering things before she was four was just plain strange!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It would make more sense if she couldn't remember from before age 8 or so, but who remembers their toddler years?

      Delete
  2. Yeah I don't remember being a toddler. Why would that be weird? Oh well. The story sounds ok but the unassertive mc sounds frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frustrating is a good description, as I could see the potential for a great story!

      Delete
  3. I actually picked up this book. It was a freebie. Haven't read it yet. I am with you on the memory loss thing. I don't remember much before the age of 7 and what I do know is most likely from my mom telling the stories over and over from my childhood. I remember the traumatic stuff; tripping up the stairs and putting a hole in my lip, my brother locking me in a stairwell with a glass pane door that I broke through in my panic. Too much? I remember my purple fuzzy blanket. Now there's a warm and fuzzy memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember much either, so am a little jealous of your purple fuzzy blanket! I remember we had a giant fish tank and a swingset in our backyard, but that's about it.

      Delete
  4. Hmm. Interesting. Glad she's more than what she is. But, yeah I like when people stand up for themselves. Wonder if that would be a growth in the next book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that this was going to be a stand-alone title, but think there's a sequel in the works. Will be curious to see what happens.

      Delete