May Wrap Up | Alexia's Books and Such: May Wrap Up

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

May Wrap Up

monthly wrap up

Monthly wrap up posts seemed to help keep me on track last year, so going to try them again this year.

Books read

Didn't make my reading goal last year, so lowered it from 100 to 75 books. In order to meet my Goodreads goal, I need to read 6.25 books per month. According to Goodreads, I've read 7 books this month! Yay me!

  1. Rescue Me by Catherine Mann
  2. The Chapel Perilous by Kevin Hearne
  3. Three Slices by Kevin Hearne, Delilah S Dawson, Chuck Wendig
  4. Every Day by David Levithan
  5. Six Earlier Days by David Levithan
  6. Arivaca by John Poulsen
  7. Buzz Books 2015 YA Fall/Winter Edition

May Reviews

  1. Rescue Me by Catherine Mann
  2. Three Slices short story collection
  3. Arivaca by John Poulsen


Blog Goals


Have updated my perpetual To-Do list again! 

My newest goal is to spread the blogging love. Now while leaving comments on interesting posts, I'm also going to tweet, FB like, Stumble or otherwise share them on social media.

Finally found a new meme to join! The Guiltless Reader has a Bookmark Monday meme for us to share our favorite bookmarks! Since I collect bookmarks, thought this would be a perfect fit for me. My first post featured a Hawaiian bookmark I picked up on vacation. Love it!

Figured out how to truncate my posts and get the Read More feature! My weird Frankenstein coding mess was a problem, but now it seems to be working. Huzzah! 


Around the Blogosphere


How personal do you get in your blog posts? I don't share much and am still working on loosening up when writing reviews, but love hearing about other blogger's lives! Interesting discussion post about this over at Shooting Stars Mag!

Book Riot had an interesting post asking How Do We Break Our Internet Habit and Read More Books? I'm trying to limit my time online and thinking about having at least one No Internet Day each week. Anyone ever try this? Is it working?

Saw this interesting post on Pinterest with 9 Simple Ideas to Boost Your Blogging Karma. Love that she suggests different ways to perform random acts of kindness for other bloggers!

Pamela at A Writer's Tales was nice enough to share her Resources For Book Bloggers post with me after my blogger's ed complaints. Some I'd already read, but most were new to me!

One of my favorite posts from Armchair BEA was by Nordie at Writing About Books, who not only shared several valuable blogging tip posts but also introduced me to the phrase "spam-dick."

Another fun post from Book Riot, this one about the Seven Stages of Not Loving An "It" Book. As someone who finds herself scratching her head sometimes over why everyone else seems to love a book I found "just okay," I really enjoyed this post!

My friend Tammy over at Bo's Book Nook wrote some great recaps for BEA/Book Con: Bloggers Con/BEA Day 1, BEA Day 2 aka Missed It By That Much, BEA Day 3 aka The Choices Made, and Book Con. Please let me know if you've seen any other BEA wrap up posts, as I'm having a hard time finding any for some reason.

Overall


Guess I've finally "made it" as I was hit by spammers this past month. More annoying than anything as I wasn't hit too, too hard, but still....jerks!

Since moving my email list from Feedburner to MailChimp, I find myself checking way too often to see how many people opened/read the email. Trying not to take it personally when someone unsubscribes, but I so want to email them and ask why they don't like me anymore? Kidding! (sorta)

In the Hootsuite vs Tweetdeck battle, Tweetdeck is winning. It's just easier for me to navigate and I like being able to clear tweets I've already read. I haven't used either to schedule tweets yet, so that's the next test. Do you use either one? What's your preference?

Since I couldn't go to BEA this year, I took part in Armchair BEA. We Introduced Ourselves, talked about Social Media, discussed our Favorite Characters and Blogging Tips, and had a few fun Twitter Chats. I was able to make it to two chats and had a blast! Need to find more Twitter Parties!

Still working my way through the various blogging classes I've signed up for. Coming to the conclusion that book blogging is it's own unique niche because so many of their top tips wouldn't work for book blogs.

I just signed up for a productivity course as I have the bad habit of being so busy that I never seem to get anything done. Will let you know how it goes.

So how was your May? Any exciting plans for the summer?


***







18 comments:

  1. Congratulations on reading seven books this month. That's quite an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally! I used to aim higher, but my reading has really slowed down for some reason.

      Delete
  2. Blogging classes sound interesting!! I've enrolled in a few social media classes and they are great, nothing really new for me but a few tips I can always use.

    I used Tweetdeck but I don't remember why I switched to Hootsuite...I'll have to try it again.

    I'm also trying to get more personal in my blog! But I don't know what else to do, so I'll have to check out that post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've picked up a few tips, but most of the lessons so far have been general things I already knew. Good luck with your blog!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on receiving spam. That's really the mark of an awesome blog, lol. They're so annoying. I have an anti-spam widget on my blog so they never show up in the posts. Does Blogger let you do something like that too?

    Great job on reading so many books! I read 4 list last month, which was good. I hope to read 5 this month to make up for the measly 3 books in March.

    http://jennielyse.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too funny Jenni! I don't allow anonymous comments, so that helps a little with spam. I don't want to turn on CAPCHA or comment approval, so will just have to keep an eye on things.

      Good luck with your June reading goal!

      Delete
  4. You did good for books! Happy June reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Freda! Hope you have a great June too!

      Delete
  5. I don't want to look back at the month. lol. I know I didn't get much read, but that's okay. I've started picking up on my audio and podcast books so that helps with my book count. :) You did an amazing job this past month! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been able to get into audio books for some reason. Even the podcast I tried didn't work as I kept getting distracted. I'm hopeless when it comes to audio! :(

      Delete
  6. May was great except for the reading and blogging slump part :( Summer is actually over in my country and classes are back this month. Definitely going to check out all the interesting topics you included in your Around the Blogosphere section. Have a great June! :D

    Haraiah @ Random Things In Action

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Haraiah! Good luck with your classes!

      Delete
  7. Yay for meeting your monthly reading goal! That's awesome. Hope your June reading is going well so far :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! June is off to a slow start, so need to get my reading cap on!

      Delete
  8. Awesome reading month!!

    I didn't know you could clear tweets from TweetDeck. I'm going to have to check that out myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tif! And I love that Tweetdeck feature, as it makes it easier for me to keep up with Twitter chats!

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u