Monday, June 8, 2015

I Am the Traitor book review

I Am the Traitor book review | Alexia's Books and Such Title: I Am the Traitor
Author: Allen Zadoff
Release Date: June 9, 2015
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Source: publisher, via NetGalley

The Program has sent Boy Nobody on countless missions, instructed to kill whichever target he was given. But now, after going rogue, he is on his own mission to rescue his friend Howard who was captured by The Program. Boy Nobody manages to free Howard as well as Tanya, a mysterious girl who was being held with him. Howard and Tanya help Boy Nobody collect information about his father, eventually revealing a dangerous secret that teaches Boy Nobody a valuable lesson -- he can't trust anyone.

Allen Zadoff packs the third book of the Unknown Assassin series with even more action, higher stakes, and mind-blowing reveals that will leave readers riveted. (Goodreads)

My Review:

I Am the Traitor is the final installment in the Unknown Assassin trilogy. While I still like the boy assassin, this was my least favorite of the three books.

Boy is trying to figure things out because he still has doubts about The Program, isn't happy that they kidnapped his friend Howard, and wants to find out if his father is still alive. With so many questions, he decides to start back at the beginning and tracks down one of his father's associates. Strangely enough, the man runs as soon as he sees Boy. And so begins another adventure....



With the help of fellow assassin Mike, Boy finds and rescues Howard. There's an unexpected complication of a fellow hostage that Howard won't leave behind, so against Boy's better judgement they bring Tanya with them. Unexpected complications rarely turn out well, do they?

While still an interesting story, this one didn't seem as fast-paced or action-packed as the other two. There was still plenty of action, but it didn't have the same impact on me for some reason.

The ending bothered me more than anything. I still have so many unanswered questions, so wish there had been an epilogue or something to help clear things up. Still a good read, I Am the Traitor is just a little disappointing after the first two books.


My reviews for The Unknown Assassin Series:

12 comments:

  1. A shame that this didn't end on a high note, it sounds just as well this wasn't a longer series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not supposed to have a sequel, but the ending sort of reads like a set up for another book. Really liked this series, so more than a little disappointed with the ending.

      Delete
  2. Aw, I hate lack lustre endings to series that leave more questions than answers. At least you enjoyed it as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overall it was a good series, but lackluster endings are so disappointing!

      Delete
  3. That sucks when the final book doesn't live up to the first few. Maybe your expectations were too high?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. I had so many unanswered questions after finishing the book and was really hoping for an epilogue or something. It was still a good series overall, just an anti-climatic ending for me.

      Delete
  4. Unanswered questions is the worst. I don't forgive that easily. :-)

    Anna from Elements of Writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so frustrating! I know that some authors like to leave things up to the reader's imagination sometimes, but I prefer answers! Oh well, in my mind the book will just have a different ending. lol

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear the last book was your least favorite. Sounds like an interesting view of Boy Assassin. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still a good series and I'm glad I read it! Very clever premise!

      Delete
  6. Well that's a shame it didn't end with quite enough. Glad you enjoyed the series overall though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disappointing endings are a big letdown, but the series was still good!

      Delete