Friday, June 12, 2015

Book Review: Buzz Books 2015 YA Fall/Winter edition

Book Review:  Buzz Books 2015 YA Fall/Winter editionTitle:  Buzz Books 2015 YA Fall/Winter
Author:  x
Release Date:  May 13, 2015
Publisher:  Publisher's Lunch
Source:  NetGalley

This edition of Buzz Books: Young Adult provides substantial pre-publication excerpts from 20 forthcoming young adult and middle grade books. 

Now everyone can share the same access to the newest YA voices the publishing industry is broadcasting for the fall/winter season. (Goodreads)

My Review:


Young Adult books are one of my favorite genres and I'm always looking for recommendations. That's one of the reasons I love the Buzz Books sampler so much, as I always find great new authors to try! Here are a few from the latest collection that caught my eye:




Illuminae by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff - This was one of my favorite samples, about a high school couple who break up the morning that their planet is invaded. The story is told using interviews, emails, hacked files, and the like, which I love! Didn't think I'd like this story, but the excerpt really grabbed me!


The Accident Season by Moira Fowley-Doyle - This is an odd story of a family who seem cursed by becoming accident-prone every October. Some years it's just cuts & bruises, but other years result in actual death. What a scary way to live! An excellent excerpt left me wanting to read more!


The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness - Another favorite from this sampler, this put me in mind of Buffy's classmates, who were always in the background while the Scooby Gang saved the world yet again. This is about the ordinary kids who aren't supposed to save the world, just live in it. Loved the sample and can't wait to read the rest!


Curiosity House: The Shrunken Head by Lauren Oliver - One of my favorite authors, I'm compelled to read anything and everything with her name on it! This one is about four children who live and perform in a curious museum/side show called Dumfrey's Dime Museum of Freaks, Oddities, and Wonders. They try to find out who stole the new main attraction at the museum, a shrunken head. Not my usual type of read but like I said, it's Lauren Oliver.


Are You Still There by Sarah Lynn Scheerger - Another story I doubt I would have looked at twice if it wasn't for this collection, as it's not in my usual genres. Gabi is a high school student who gets trapped in a bathroom when her school goes into lockdown following a bomb threat. Is she the target, or is what happens next just coincidence?


This sampler is still available on NetGalley, so I highly recommend checking it out!





4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a useful resource, great for those who are really into this genre.

    I really must get around to reading some more Patrick Ness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read more Patrick Ness too, as I've already read this one and loved it!

      Delete
  2. The Buzz Books editions always gets me excited for upcoming books. I believe I am most excited for Lauren Oliver's book. I love her writing style.

    Blue Books and Butterflies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Buzz Books too, and absolutely adore Lauren Oliver!

      Delete