Armchair BEA Day 3: Character Chatter & Blogging 101 | Alexia's Books and Such: Armchair BEA Day 3: Character Chatter & Blogging 101

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, May 29, 2015

Armchair BEA Day 3: Character Chatter & Blogging 101

Armchair BEA Day 3: Character Chatter & Blogging 101

Armchair BEA is an online conference that runs in conjunction with Book Expo America in New York City. There are a large number of people around the world that are not able to join in the literary celebrations in the Big Apple, so Armchair BEA brings the celebration to you by allowing networking among other book bloggers, authors, and publishers as well as special coverage of the event, all from the comfort of your very own armchair. For more information, be sure to check out the FAQ page! (website)

Character Chatter


It's time to give your favorite characters some love! Characters are essential to a story, and they can make or break a book for some readers. Now's your chance to shine the spotlight on your favorite characters, or maybe your least favorite. Who's your favorite couple? What are the components of a well written character? What are you favorite or least favorite cliches associated with characters?

Picking my favorite characters is tough, because there are so many to love! 

A strong female character who can take care of herself while taking down her enemies is one of my favorites. Gin Blanco of The Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep fits this description nicely, as she's a top-notch assassin who also loves to cook. 


Even though Gin is an assassin, I don't look at her as a bad guy and she doesn't take her job lightly. She has a growing group of friends and they're fiercely loyal to one another. Love her friends almost as much as I love Gin!

My favorite couple are Eve Dallas and her hunky husband Roarke in the In Death series by JD Robb. I love that they've both evolved as characters, have expanded their circle of friends, and have a successful partnership. I don't see many books with a married couple who not only love and respect each other, but also still have the hots for each other. Love those two!

My least favorite type of character is the helpless female who just sits around and waits for her Prince Charming to show up and rescue her. I prefer to rescue myself thank you very much, so these stupid girls (they don't deserve to be called women) really annoy me! *cough*Bella Swan*cough*


Blogging 101


Blogging 101. All kinds of tips and tricks to get you started or keep you going. Talk about ARCs, reviewing in general, web design, etc. What blogging platform do you use? How do you network? What are some of your favorite web designs? Or maybe you want to talk about your own blogging journey, and how you got to where you are now. Either way, we want you to share your knowledge with the rest of the community!

This is another tough one, as there are so many tips to share! 

Blogging is harder than I thought it would be, but totally worth it because I love being able to discuss books with people who love them as much as I do!

While I see a lot of people advocate for WordPress, I'm happy with using Blogger and have no plans to switch. I claimed my WordPress URL and use it as a backup for my blog, but am comfortable with Blogger. Plus it would be a major pain for me to move at this point, and I don't like major pains.

The best tip I can share is to start your blogging journey with good habits: 
  • Be consistent - even if you only post once a month at least your readers will know what to expect. 
  • Schedule your posts - if you get into this habit early, you won't find yourself scrambling at the last minute for something to post. I'm still working on this, so don't make my mistake!
  • Comment love - if someone is nice enough to leave you a comment, share the love and comment back on their blog! It's good karma!
  • No Rules - there are no rules so blog what you want, when you want, and don't let anyone tell you different!

Looking forward to seeing what everyone else shares for today's Armchair BEA post! Can't wait to hear about new-to-me characters and discover some new blogging tips! Love Armchair BEA!


Armchair BEA posts:
Day 2 - Social Media






5 comments:

  1. Good advice. I especially love the no rules part. There really are no rules for blogging and that's what I like best about it. I can do what I want, lol.

    And, I don't have any experience with any of the characters you listed, but they sound like good characters. They sound round and not flat. Round is my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to remind myself occasionally about the no rules part, as I sometimes fall into the trap of thinking I have to do something a certain way.

      Love your description of round characters, not flat! Round is my favorite too! :)

      Delete
  2. I love that series! I'm behind though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you're able to catch up, as it just keeps getting better and better!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u