Armchair BEA 2015 - Introductions | Alexia's Books and Such: Armchair BEA 2015 - Introductions

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Armchair BEA 2015 - Introductions

Armchair BEA 2015 - Introductions

Very sad that I'm not able to attend Book Expo America (BEA) this year. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. I'm still recovering from a knee replacement and all the walking involved would probably kill me. Literally. 

My husband dared me to walk around the block to prove I could go (I'm stubborn and kept insisting I could make it). I was practically crawling to make it back to the house, so I doubt I'd even make it from the ferry to the front door of the Javits Center. I really hate it when he's right, but Armchair BEA is the next best thing! 

The Details:

Armchair BEA is an online conference that runs in conjunction with Book Expo America in New York City. There are a large number of people around the world that are not able to join in the literary celebrations in the Big Apple, so Armchair BEA brings the celebration to you by allowing networking among other book bloggers, authors, and publishers as well as special coverage of the event, all from the comfort of your very own armchair. For more information, be sure to check out the FAQ page! (website)


The Questions:

There's a list of ten questions on the Armchair BEA site and everyone was asked to answer five in order to introduce ourselves. They're all good questions, so picking only five wasn't easy! Here are the ones I chose:

Tell us a bit about yourself: How long have you been blogging? Where are you from? How did you get into blogging?

I'm a Jersey girl who was raised in Ohio, met my husband in Salt Lake City, moved back to New Jersey after we got married, then somehow wound up in the South. What a long, strange trip it's been!

I've been blogging for six years now. Wow! Hard to believe it's been that long as I usually get bored and pick up/abandon new hobbies every few months. I've taken a few blogging breaks over the years, but always seem to come back to the blogosphere. 

Got into blogging via Twitter. I started following some of my favorite authors and saw them interacting with people who had book blogs. Intrigued, I investigated and soon discovered a whole new world out there, full of people just like me, who all loved books! I had finally found my tribe!

Why do you love reading and blogging?

My father was a reader for all of my life, so I'm pretty sure that I picked up the habit from him. I remember constantly going to my school library and checking out books, starting in grade school. 

Reading has always been and will probably always be a part of my life. To tell you the truth, I'm pretty sure that I'm addicted!

Blogging is an extension of my love of reading. Being able to connect with others who love books as much as I do has been amazing! I've found so many new authors and tried different, new genres that I never would have discovered on my own, all thanks to blogging! How could I not love it?

What is one book everyone should read?

The book that I always recommend to people is Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. It's got it all: romance, time travel, history, adventure! Something for everyone!

What is your favorite genre and why?

Urban fantasy is my favorite genre. I'm not a big fan of science fiction or high fantasy, but love the contemporary setting of urban fantasy. Give me modern-day life with a touch of magic and I'm happy!

If you were stranded on a deserted island, what author would you want to bring with you? Why?

I feel like I should pick whoever wrote 101 Ways To Get Off A Deserted Island, but going to go with Neil Gaiman instead. Why? Because he's my author crush! C'mon, look at him! *sigh*

gratuitous Neil Gaiman picture
















Are you taking part in Armchair BEA this year? Leave me a link in the comments, as I'd love to see which introduction questions you chose! And if you're able to go to BEA, please post updates so I can live vicariously through you!










14 comments:

  1. So sorry you could go to BEA, but better to take care of that knee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching all the BEA tweets brings back happy memories of when I first discovered book blogs, and already planning to attend next year! I've never been to Chicago & my husband has already promised to go with me, so now I need to work on rehabbing my knee!

      Delete
  2. Sorry that you couldn't get to BEA this year but I'm delighted that you are taking part in this the armchair version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Visiting the other participants is fun, and loving all the BEA tweets in my Twitter feed! :)

      Delete
  3. I had planned to go to BEA this year but... New York City. Yuck! Maybe next year! Hope your knee improves every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you! I lived in NJ for years and we rarely went into the city because it was such a pain. I know that people love it, but it's too dirty & crowded & expensive for my tastes.

      Delete
  4. I had no clue that you met your husband in SLC. What were you in SLC for? I have a really good friend from Pleasantville, NJ near Atlantic City. Are you from anywhere near there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both moved to SLC for our jobs and were there for about 5 years, then moved to northern NJ. Lived in Murray, Midvale, and Sandy UT. In NJ we lived near Wayne, about 30 minutes from the George Washington Bridge. Utah was beautiful, but I'm an East Coast girl at heart!

      Delete
  5. I didn't know urban fantasy was your favorite genre. Mine too! The things we learn. One day I'll read Outlander.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Seems like I'm always learning something new about my blogging friends. I really need to reread Outlander one of these days, as it's been years. :)

      Delete
  6. I read Outlander, but I don't know if I'll go on with the series. I though it was ok, but that series is a big time commitment for something you don't totally love! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the rest of the series because I thought Outlander was perfect on its own. Was actually upset when the second book came out! Yeah, I'm strange that way. lol

      Delete
  7. Neil Gaiman is a great writer! I still need to read Outlander!
    Happy ABEA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Neil Gaiman! He's such a creative person and you never know what he's going to come up with next! Hope you're able to give Outlander a try one of these days, as it's a really good read!

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u