Friday, April 10, 2015

Review: Carniepunk anthology

Review:  Carniepunk anthology | Alexia's Books and Such
Carniepunk anthology

A star-studded urban fantasy anthology featuring bestselling authors Rachel Caine, Rob Thurman, Seanan McGuire, Jennifer Estep, and Kevin Hearne, whose stories explore the creepy, mysterious, and, yes, sometimes magical world of traveling carnivals. (Goodreads)

My Review

Anthologies are one of my favorites, because they introduce you to new authors and give you snippets from old favorites to tide you over until their next book! And who cares if you don't like one of the stories, as you can just move on to the next one. Have to say that whoever put together this collection was a genius, as there's not a bad story in the bunch! Genius!

Don't want to review every story as then this post would be waaaaaaay too long, but it's hard to pick out only a few as they were all so good! Even though I've never been to a carnival in my life (don't think state fairs or amusement parks count), I have the preconceived notion that they're creepy. Probably too many scary movies growing up, but think that helped with my enjoyment of the collection.

Painted Love by Rob Thurman had a nice surprise twist, and was a good choice for the first story. And Recession of the Divine by Hillary Jacques introduced me to a new author. I was able to find one other anthology under her name, but also discovered she has a couple of books under the name Regan Summers! Very cool!

Have you read this collection? What did you think? And are carnivals as creepy as they sound?


8 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this one as well, and agree anthologies are fun and a great way to try different authors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a sucker for a good anthology! Glad that you liked it as well. :)

      Delete
  2. Whilst I can understand the merits of anthologies I must admit I'm not a fan. Perhaps too 'greedy' I generally come away feeling unfulfilled and wanting more. Glad that this proved such a hit with you and that there wasn't a bad story in the collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one of the reasons I like anthologies is that they're like an appetizer and don't take up much time. I tend to read them in bits and pieces when I don't have time to sit down and read a "full" book.

      Delete
  3. I love anthologies too, and for the same reason you mentioned, finding new authors! I have a list in my Bullet Journal where I jot down "finds" from the anthologies I'm reading. CarniePunk looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found so many new authors this way! And to tell the truth, have avoided a few that I thought I would like, but didn't. Loved this collection, so hope you give it a try!

      Delete
  4. Because of my carnie childhood, I really want this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep forgetting that you have a carnie past. Would love to hear what you think about this one!

      Delete