Favorite Fictional Character: Girl at the Window Repost | Alexia's Books and Such...: Favorite Fictional Character: Girl at the Window Repost

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, April 27, 2015

Favorite Fictional Character: Girl at the Window Repost

Way back in August of 2012, I wrote a guest post for my friend Ryan at Wordsmithsonia. It was for his Favorite Fictional Character series, which is one of my favorites as Ryan is always introducing me to old and new friends! I came across this post while doing some blog spring cleaning and thought I would dust it off for a repost. This is still one of my favorite paintings, so hope you enjoy!

Girl at the Window | Alexia's Books and Such

This is a Salvador Dali painting, most commonly known as "Girl at the Window".

Seems an odd choice for a Favorite Fictional Character post, doesn't it? A moment in time captured in a painting. An unknown character with an unknown story. How can this be a Favorite Fictional Character? Glad you asked!

When Ryan asked me if I'd be interested in doing one of these posts for him, he said that there were no limitations on where the character could come from and that books, movies, TV shows, poems, songs, or even artwork were all on the table. Artwork? Color me intrigued! And what better artwork to feature than one of my favorites?

I found a poster of this piece many years ago, lying on the floor, at a warehouse sale. Had no idea who the artist was or the title, but I knew that I had to have it! It "spoke" to me (plus, it was blue and I knew it would look good in my bathroom). It quickly became my favorite poster!

As you might have guessed from my avatar, there's something about staring out a window that I love....the longing for what's out there....wanting to explore new horizons...wondering if the grass is really greener over the next hill? I have spent plenty of time staring out windows over the years, so I identify with this unknown girl.

I love this picture. Who is the girl? Is she longing for far horizons? I think that she's been at the window for awhile and didn't just stop by to check the weather, as she looks like she's settled in. See how she's leaning on the sill and one of her legs is bent? Like she's shifting her stance to find a more comfortable position. Like she's spent hours at that window....

I think that she certainly qualifies as a FFC, in that I'm able to come up with my own stories for her. Has she had a rough day and wants to escape? Is she just a daydreamer? Does she have itchy feet and longs to travel? I see all of that....and more. Am I nuts and it's just a girl standing at a window? Can you feel her longing? What do you see when you look at this picture?

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful painting. It definitely has something...Since I love travelling and discovering new places, I think the girl is daydreaming about the places she will visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love travelling too Gaby, so think you might be right! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Wonderful image for some reason it puts me in mind of holidays spent in Greece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something about it suggests Greece to me too. Maybe the different shades of blue?

      Delete
  3. Awesome choice and post! When I first looked at the picture I thought it looked like she just woke up and walked to the window to look out on a new day. After closer inspection, I see she's wearing shoes and there's some sort of fabric beside her. I've now decided she was folding clothes and stopped to look out the window and daydream. Maybe she's depressed or missing someone but there's something melancholy about the painting for me. Maybe that's a reflection on me though.

    Anywho, very fun painting and character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how the image means different things to different people! I've come up with several different ideas, but love the thought of her folding clothes, then getting distracted by something out the window! So many different scenarios!

      Delete
  4. It's a lovely painting, and just looking at it brings up a lot of potential stories in my mind too. It's funny how different people see different things. The painting brings up hope for me, but I think that's because that's what I associate with the ocean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! You see hope while I see more of a yearning. At least, today that's what I see! Think that's one of the things I love about this picture, as I see different things every time I look at it!

      Delete
  5. When I was young I'd look out the window waiting for the day I'd join that world out there. That drive had me moving out on my own at eighteen. :-)

    Anna from Elements of Writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love sitting at the window and watching the world go by! Really wish I had a comfy window seat, but make do with my back porch now. :)

      Delete
  6. I remember you posting at Ryan's blog. :) That picture is lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still one of my favorites! Such a lucky find, as I doubt I would have found it on my own if it wasn't for that sale.

      Delete
  7. What an awesome guest post - and yes, being able to create your own stories for her makes this an amazing piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I look at the picture, I come up with something slightly different. Think that's why this is one of my favorite pictures!

      Delete
  8. Fun Post! I'll have to think about my favorite character now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went with a painting because I'd never be able to choose a character from a book. There are just too, too many to pick from!

      Delete
  9. This is a really tame Dali painting - I didn't actually realize that he ever painted stuff so ... normal. :-) I think it's a fantastic choice for your fictional character because she's whoever you want her to be!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little surprised when I found out that this was a Dali painting, as I'm used to his wilder pictures too! Guess even Dali had to start somewhere!

      Delete
  10. While I am not that much into paintings, I loved reading your reasons why that girl became your favorite fictional character. It made me appreciate the painting much more :) Great post!

    Haraiah @ Random Things In Action

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words Haraiah! :)

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u