Monday, April 20, 2015

Cold Burn of Magic book review

Cold Burn of Magic book review. This is a great start to a new Jennifer Estep series! | Alexia's Books and Such Title:  Cold Burn of Magic
Author:  Jennifer Estep
Release Date:  April 28, 2015
Publisher:  Kensington
Source:  NetGalley

There Be Monsters Here. . .

It's not as great as you'd think, living in a tourist town that's known as "the most magical place in America." Same boring high school, just twice as many monsters under the bridges and rival Families killing each other for power.

I try to keep out of it. I've got my mom's bloodiron sword and my slightly illegal home in the basement of the municipal library. And a couple of Talents I try to keep quiet, including very light fingers and a way with a lock pick.

But then some nasty characters bring their Family feud into my friend's pawn shop, and I have to make a call--get involved, or watch a cute guy die because I didn't. I guess I made the wrong choice, because now I'm stuck putting everything on the line for Devon Sinclair. My mom was murdered because of the Families, and it looks like I'm going to end up just like her. . . (Goodreads)

My Review:

Cold Burn of Magic is a great start to a new Jennifer Estep series! Jennifer is one of my favorite authors and she never disappoints, no matter what the genre!

Living in a town billed as the most magical place in America sounds lovely, but not when the monsters are real and think you'd make a nice main course! Love the idea of actual monsters hiding under the bridges and in the alleyways of town!

The main character, Lila, is doing her best to survive after her mother is killed. And how cool that she's living in the basement of a library! Sure it's squatting, but she's living in a library!

Taking odd jobs as a thief and pick-pocketing gullible tourists helps keep her head above water, but she's also careful to avoid unwanted attention. The last thing Lila needs is Child Services sniffing around!

Her mother's old friend Mo looks out for her the best he can, but he's not exactly the parental sort. In fact, it's in his pawn shop that Lila's life turns upside down.

An unwilling witness to an assassination ambush, Lila is determined to stay out of things. Feuds between the families are none of her business and the last thing she wants is to bring any attention to herself. But there's just something about the target and, despite her reservations, Lila steps in. And her life would never be the same....

Cold Burn of Magic has a great premise, with interesting characters and lots of action. Really love that the ruling families were like the Mob, only with magic! I think that the author has another hit on her hands and I'm already looking forward to the next book!

17 comments:

  1. Great review but alas I'm not too sure this is something I'd read. As an adult still traumatised by the thoughts of monsters under the bed I'm not overly keen on the idea of
    actual monsters hiding under the bridges and in the alleyways of town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sound of real monsters hiding under the bridge, but would move away ASAP if they showed up in my town one day! :o

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good read, haven't heard of the author so nice to know of someone new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's one of my favorite authors, so hope you give one of her series a try!

      Delete
  3. I just read this one and I LOVED IT!! Such a great start to a series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? I love this new world that Jennifer has created!

      Delete
  4. Gads...everyone is loving this and I've never tried this author despite owning several of her works..looks like I need to dive in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gads is right! You need to try one of her series ASAP, as she's one of my favorite authors and I've never been disappointed! Get thee to the TBR pile and pick one!!! ;)

      Delete
  5. One of these day I'm going to enjoy urban fantasy again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Must. Read. This. Book! I love urban fantasy and I just don't read enough of it. Definitely reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Looking forward to seeing what you think of it! :)

      Delete
  7. I'm hearing lots of good things about this one. :)

    And saw your comment at the top about removing the commenting system. Was it not working right with blogger? That's what I noticed with what I tried. *sigh* Sorry it didn't work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a couple of mixed reviews, but I really enjoyed it! Love the new world that Jennifer has created and am curious to see where she takes things.

      As for the commenting systems I tried, it was weird and comments kept disappearing. Like a battle between the new system and old, with each trying to eat the other. I finally threw in the towel and went back to the default blogger system. Double sigh. :(

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete