Book Review: Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, April 6, 2015

Book Review: Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman

Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman book review | Alexia's Books and Such Title:  Trigger Warning
Author:  Neil Gaiman
Publication Date: 2/3/2015
Publisher: William Morrow & Company
Source:  Review copy received from the publisher

Synopsis:
Multiple award winning, #1 New York Times bestselling author Neil Gaiman returns to dazzle, captivate, haunt, and entertain with this third collection of short fiction following Smoke and Mirrors and Fragile Things--which includes a never-before published American Gods story, "Black Dog," written exclusively for this volume.

In this new anthology, Neil Gaiman pierces the veil of reality to reveal the enigmatic, shadowy world that lies beneath. Trigger Warning includes previously published pieces of short fiction--stories, verse, and a very special Doctor Who story that was written for the fiftieth anniversary of the beloved series in 2013--as well "Black Dog," a new tale that revisits the world of American Gods, exclusive to this collection. (Goodreads)

My Review:

This is one of the few books where I actually read the introduction, as Gaiman includes the why and/or how he wrote each of the stories. I bookmarked the intro and went back and forth between the explanation and the story in question so that it would be fresh in my mind as I read. Clever! (clever author, not clever me....) 

To be honest, after awhile I wished that each intro was in front of its story because flipping back and forth became slightly annoying. Guess I'm a lazy reader! ha!

The first story in a collection is usually chosen with care and sets the tone for the entire book, so I was a little mystified by the author's choice. The first story is called I Made A Chair. Gaiman explains that one day the words wouldn't come, so he made a chair. Literally. The words wouldn't come and he didn't want to force them, so he put together a chair. An odd choice and an odd pseudo-poem, but I was enthralled. Way to keep me on my toes and let me know I was in for a fun ride!

One of my favorite things in this collection is A Calendar of Tales, sort of a mini-collection. Twelve stories, one for each month and inspired by tweet prompts sent out by Gaiman. The man does seem to love Twitter! Especially enjoyed the story with the genie. And the one with the brazier? Clever!

Loved the Dr. Who story, as it features my favorite Doctor. And a new, original Shadow story? Sold! Love both of those franchises and neither one disappointed.

There are a few stories that I've read before and, while not every story was to my liking, I think this is a worthwhile collection for any Neil Gaiman and/or short story fan. Say what you will, the man can write!



18 comments:

  1. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Neil Gaiman is really hit or miss with me. Since I'm not a huge fan of short stories I don't know if I'll ever read this one but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't care for short stories, I'd recommend trying Good Omens or Neverwhere instead. Those are two of my favorite Gaiman books!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a creative read. I have just read one Neil Gaiman book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some stories were better than others, but I enjoyed them all! He's got quite a few books now, so hope you find another one that catches your interest!

      Delete
  3. Give me Neil Gaiman. I'll read it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of this author. I do love a good anthology to give me a taste of what the author can do. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's one of my favorites, so hope you give him a try!

      Delete
  5. Seems like a good book to start reading Gaiman. I've been reading more and more about his books at book blogs but I think I need to try his writing with something short :) thanks for the recommendation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy the collection, Gaby!

      Delete
  6. I really enjoyed this collection but I felt exactly like you did - I wished the intros to each of the stories had been placed immediately before the stories rather than in the introduction. I didn't do as well as you did with the flipping back and forth so most of the time I ended up going back to reread the intro after I'd read the story, if it was a story I really really enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you enjoyed this one! And I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of Good Omens when you're done. Love that book!

      Delete
  7. Neil Gaiman is an author I'm not very familiar with, but I want to read more of his work. I've only read An Ocean at the End of the Lane and it was okay. This book sounds good because I like the idea of having an explanation before each story. Did you find it helpful?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that I enjoyed the intro's more than found them helpful, as I like seeing what inspires an author. Gaiman also writes graphic novels if that's something you'd be interested in. He's an incredibly talented man (I'm a huge fangirl!). :)

      Delete
  8. I think I will give this a try, because he IS the man...and I don't usually read intros either, so thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it Sherri! And yes, he is most definitely THE MAN! ;)

      Delete
  9. This sounds very neat. But this author sounds like he's beyond creative in all he does. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how many pies he has his fingers in, as he seems to have done it all! And yeah, I totally have an author crush on him! lol

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u