Book Review: Hold Me Closer, Necromancer - A fun, snarky adventure! | Alexia's Books and Such...: Book Review: Hold Me Closer, Necromancer - A fun, snarky adventure!

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, April 3, 2015

Book Review: Hold Me Closer, Necromancer - A fun, snarky adventure!

Book Review: Hold Me Closer, Necromancer Title:  Hold Me Closer, Necromancer
Author:  Lish McBride
Release Date:  October 12, 2010
Publisher:  Henry Holt and Company
Source: Secret Santa gift

Synopsis:
Sam leads a pretty normal life. He may not have the most exciting job in the world, but he’s doing all right - until a fast food prank brings him to the attention of Douglas, a creepy guy with an intense violent streak.

Turns out Douglas is a necromancer who raises the dead for cash and sees potential in Sam. Then Sam discovers he’s a necromancer too, but with strangely latent powers. And his worst nightmare wants to join forces . . . or else.

With only a week to figure things out, Sam needs all the help he can get. Luckily he lives in Seattle, which has nearly as many paranormal types as it does coffee places. But even with newfound friends, will Sam be able to save his skin? (Goodreads)

My Review:

This is one of those books that I wanted to read as soon as I heard about it because it sounded right up my alley! I was so excited when I received it in a Secret Santa exchange, then it sat alone and forgotten on my shelf for some reason. Thank goodness for the TBR Challenge, which finally motivated me to pick it back up!

The main character, Sam, has always felt like an outsider and a bit of an oddball. Stunk in a dead end job with an uncertain future ahead of him, Sam has the bad luck to come to the attention of a seriously scary necromancer named Douglas. Douglas wants Sam to join forces with him and doesn't give him much of a choice. Sort of a join me or else proposition.

Good thing that Sam lives in Seattle, home of the wacky and weird. He finds a few potential allies and tries to come up with a plan, but doesn't have much time. It's not easy being a teenager at the best of times, but when there's a scary boogieman who wants to play? Yeah, not fun.

Really enjoyed this book! There's a snarky sense of humor woven into the story, which I love. Sam is a believable character who has trouble coming to grips with the fact that he's a necromancer. I get so tired of characters who discover they have a previously unknown power and master it within a day or two, so was really rooting for Sam!

Great characters, fast paced action, an interesting plot, and that snarky humor that I love all combine to make a great story! A little disappointed with Sam's mother, but I can understand why she did what she did. Looking forward to seeing what happens next, as I really like Sam and his friends!



16 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to see you liked this one. I've been meaning to read it forever but have been kind of nervous it won't be good. I need a book that looks good to be good. You know? Anyway, you've given me hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun read, so hope you give it a chance! I really enjoyed the sense of humor throughout the whole book and appreciated that the teens were believable and not superheroes.

      Delete
  2. Aw that's awesome it was one you were wanting and got. And that it turned out to be such a good read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it when that happens! Book exchanges are one of my favorite things!

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed this one too! Loved the snark. I so need the next book. I haven't read it ... yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snark done right is awesome! Glad to hear you enjoyed it too!

      Delete
  4. Sounds great and you can definitely tell you enjoyed it. Doesn't it make it that much better when a good read turns into a great one? Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I love it when that happens! I'm a sucker for some good snark, so really got a kick out of this one!

      Delete
  5. This sounds really good! It wasn't really on my radar, but it is now. I love when a book can be snarky and witty, so yeah, I am going to need to read this one. And great characters too? Yep, I am in! Great review :)
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! I really needed a fun book when I picked this up, and it totally fit the bill!

      Delete
  6. I loved this book and the sequel, Necromancing the Stone. I was very sad that Lish McBride's latest release was in this same world, but had a completely different set of characters. I haven't read that one yet, but I'm hoping she'll come back to Sam and his friends with her next book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Sam and his friends, so need to pick up a copy of the sequel. How disappointing that Lish doesn't have even a cameo of the gang in her new book! Maybe next book there will be some crossover, as I really fell for that gang!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a great book!! I wasn't really interested when I saw it at other blogs but you got me at 'snarky sense of humor'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't seem to resist snarky characters! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

      Delete
  8. I've heard many enjoyed this series. It's one I should give a try, when I get caught up. ;) Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like it Melissa, so hope you give it a try!

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u