Book Review: Black and White | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Black and White

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Book Review: Black and White

Book Review:  Black and White | Alexia's Books and Such Title:  Black and White
Author:  Jackie Kessler and Caitlin Kittredge
Release Date:  June 2, 2009
Publisher:  Spectra
Source:  personal library

It's the ultimate battle of good versus good.

They were best friends at an elite academy for superheroes in training, but now Callie Bradford, code name Iridium, and Joannie Greene, code name Jet, are mortal enemies. 

Jet is a by-the-book hero, using her Shadow power to protect the citizens of New Chicago. Iridium, with her mastery of light, runs the city’s underworld. For the past five years the two have played an elaborate, and frustrating, game of cat and mouse.

They’re both right. And they’re both wrong. Because nothing is as simple as Black and White. (Goodreads)

My Review:

Black and White is a fun read by two powerhouse authors! I love that they turn stereotypes on their head in this one, making the brunette with shadow powers the hero and casting the blond with light powers in the role of the villain!

The book flips back and forth between past and present day, with the two leads taking turns narrating the story. But everything is easy to follow as the timelines and narrators are clearly labeled, avoiding any confusion. I hate it when a story is choppy and you're never sure who the narrator is, so appreciated this little extra.

The authors have created a strange, new world where "extrahumans" have powers and need corporate sponsorships in order to leave the Academy and become superheroes. Those who can't find a sponsor are stuck back at headquarters, pushing paper and being desk jockeys. Very odd, yet fascinating!

While Iridium is cast as the villain, I found her to be more heroic than Jet. Iridium's main crime was refusing to follow rules and wanting justice for all, including the poor and disenfranchised. She didn't live in an elaborate hide-out or have a crew at her disposal, but tried her best to look out for her city.

On the other hand, Jet had plenty of support, lived in a spacious penthouse, and had her own personal assistant, aka a Runner. Every superhero had a Runner, who took care of those pesky little chores like laundry and dinner. Must be nice! Of course, Jet had to deal with constant photo ops, interviews, and meetings with various city officials when she'd much rather be fighting crime. Poor little hero!

Jet and Iridium both stumble upon a nefarious plot that threatens their city, come up with plans to save it, and fail miserably. Loved the identity of the evil mastermind, as what's a good superhero book without an evil mastermind?

This is a really fun read, full of interesting characters, set in a unique world! Sorry that it took me so long to pick this one up, but so happy that I finally did! Hope the sequel is as good!



12 comments:

  1. Loving the cover and even more so that the authors take stereotypes and flip them over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flipping stereotypes was one of my favorite parts! Really loved that the so-called hero dealt with shadows and the "villain" dealt with light. Too funny!

      Delete
  2. Oh, this one sounds fun! I might just read it and suggest it for my book club. Sounds perfect for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really fun read, so hope your book club agrees!

      Delete
  3. This one sounds like such a good read! And I love that the villain is the more heroic one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed the flipped stereotypes! Made a nice change. :)

      Delete
  4. Superheroes? I like. This surprised me,and you have piqued my curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really enjoyed this one and sorry it took me so long to read it. Wonder what other treasures I have hiding on my TBR shelves?

      Delete
  5. It sounds great! I haven't read about superheroes for a while, and I think it's interesting that the one who is supposed to be the villain was more heroic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read a couple of superhero stories, but this one struck me as fun and unique. And loved that the shadow power was the good guy and the light power cast as the villain! Such a fun twist!

      Delete
  6. I have this one on the shelf waiting for me. (Waiting a bit to long actually. lol) I love the sounds of this and had to get it. Wish I had time to read it. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was on my shelf, patiently waiting, for much too long. Hope you find time to read this one soon, as it's a really fun read!

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u