Friday, March 27, 2015

Trial by Fire book review

Book Review:  Trial by Fire by Jennifer Lynn Barnes | Alexia's Books and Such Title:  Trial by Fire
Author:  Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Release Date:  June 14, 2011
Publisher:  Egmont USA
Source:  Review copy received at BEA 2011
Synopsis:
Bryn is finally settling into her position as alpha of the Cedar Ridge Pack - or at least, her own version of what it means to be alpha when you’re a human leading a band of werewolves. Then she finds a teenage boy bleeding on her front porch. Before collapsing, he tells her his name is Lucas, he’s a Were, and Bryn’s protection is his only hope.

But Lucas isn’t part of Bryn’s pack, and she has no right to claim another alpha’s Were. With threats - old and new - looming, and danger closing in from all sides, Bryn will have to accept what her guardian Callum knew all along. To be alpha, she will have to give in to her own animal instincts and become less human. And, she’s going to have to do it alone. (Goodreads)

My Review:

Trial by Fire is the sequel to Raised by Wolves. In hindsight, I wish I'd read Raised by Wolves first because it might have explained how a 16 year old human girl became alpha to a pack of werewolves. 

While I'm no expert, my understanding is that a female alpha is a rarity so a human female alpha would be unheard of! And that her pack is almost all teenagers and children? Have to admit that I had a hard time getting past that.

Bryn herself is an interesting character. In many ways, she's a typical teenager with a short temper who makes rash decisions. Then she reminds herself that she's alpha, but not your typical alpha. Yeah Bryn, we got that the first 100 times you mentioned it....

When Lucas shows up on her porch half dead and asking for her help, Bryn doesn't return him to his pack immediately and puts her own pack in danger. While I understand her wanting to help the boy, it goes against everything I know about packs and alphas to be so cavalier about their safety.

There's the threat from another pack whose alpha hates Bryn and wants her females, plus the threat from a new, unknown enemy that added an interesting twist to the mix. I found myself more interested in the new enemy than the other pack and think that could have been a storyline all its own!

This was an interesting story with well-paced action, good characters, and a decent plot. Aside from a few quibbles on my part (alpha of a werewolf pack who still has to attend high school?), I really enjoyed this story. I would recommend reading the series in order though, as I felt I was missing something more than once.

Have you read this series? Should I go back and read Raised by Wolves to fill in the blanks or just go to book 3, Taken by Storm? Is book 3 even worth reading? Inquiring minds want to know!

16 comments:

  1. I haven't read any in this series, but she does sound like a fun character

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun read,I was just a little lost at times. :)

      Delete
  2. Ok, I seriously feel like I should know about this series....It sounds good. I'll be sure to start with the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that there was huge buzz about the first book, but I never got my hands on it for some reason. Still debating on whether or not I should go back and read it before picking up book three.

      Delete
  3. I've been wanting to read this series so I know now to start with book 1. I know I'd have the same questions as you if I started with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read a couple of the author's other books, so know she's really a talented author! Hope you enjoy the series!

      Delete
  4. You know? I have this book, too. I did not realize it was book 2 of a series and to be honest, it sounds slightly ridiculous. I might have to toss this one back in the lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I wouldn't go so far as tossing it in the lake.....ha!

      Delete
  5. I read the first book years ago when it first came out. I remember enjoying but then never read the second book. I don't know if I'd enjoy this series now. I think the things that bothered your would probably bother me. When I read the first book I was just starting to get back into reading... now, after reading a ton of shifter books, I'd probably be disappointed in the "Alpha".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the human alpha bothered me...probably more than it should have, but it just seemed strange.

      Delete
  6. Well that definitely is curious. Very rare indeed for that set up. Might have to check out book one to see how that unfolded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm torn about whether or not I should go back and read the first book. Curious why there's a human alpha, but might just move on to the third book as I already have enough in my TBR pile without adding more. Still haven't made up my mind, but no rush!

      Delete
  7. Oh I've heard the first one is really good. And I didn't realize book 2 was out. :D Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a really good writer and I've liked her other books, but think I'm going to hold off on finishing the trilogy for now.

      Delete
  8. I would go back to book one. It was a great book. I really enjoyed the entire trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie! I've been thinking about it.

      Delete