Review: Personal by Lee Child | Alexia's Books and Such...: Review: Personal by Lee Child

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, March 9, 2015

Review: Personal by Lee Child

Review:  Personal by Lee ChildTitle:  Personal
Author:  Lee Child

eBook provided by NetGalley. 

Jack Reacher walks alone. Once a go-to hard man in the US military police, now he's a drifter of no fixed abode. But the army tracks him down. Because someone has taken a long-range shot at the French president.. Only one man could have done it. And Reacher is the one man who can find him. 

This new heartstopping, nailbiting book in Lee Child's number-one bestselling series takes Reacher across the Atlantic to Paris - and then to London. The stakes have never been higher - because this time, it's personal. (Goodreads)

My Review:

This story is a little different from Reacher's usual adventures as he doesn't stumble across an injustice that needs to be remedied, but is asked to investigate an assassination attempt in Paris. Asked by an army general. You'd think that the army would have their own investigators and not need to call in a retired MP? Weird, even with the author's explanation.

So off Reacher goes to Europe. But rather than flying solo like usual, this time he has a partner. An odd choice of a partner, as she seems too green to be let out on her own. Weirder and weirder.

While I usually like it when a character ventures out of their comfort zone and stretches their wings, I think that I prefer the usual Reacher formula of wandering, stumble across injustice, kick some ass, move on. It's not a rut, it's a winning formula!

While not a bad story, it's definitely not my favorite Reacher book. I still love the character and am always looking forward to the next installment, but I sincerely hope that we get the "old" Reacher back for the next one!


8 comments:

  1. Not a fan of this series of books which is a shame as without exception all of the other members of my reading group love them.

    Hopefully just a glitch in the series, that future books will see the author back to his usual form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that the author goes back to his normal formula, as this is one series where I DON'T want the main character to change or grow. Unusual for me as I usually get bored when the MC stays static, but it seems to work for Reacher.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes I just don't get why authors feel the need to shake things up when, as you said, they have a winning formula. Oh well. Hopefully the next one gets back to basics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed! It's funny, because I usually get annoyed when an author refuses to change the characters and they basically write the same story over and over, just changing minor details. But with Reacher, that's sort of what I want for some reason. Weird!

      Delete
  3. Oooooh. Jack Reacher. Lots of people enjoy his series. Interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this series, but would recommend starting with one of the older titles if you haven't read him yet. And whatever you do, don't watch the Tom Cruise movie! Ugh!

      Delete
  4. I get what you mean. I look for certain elements when picking up a book. If the author doesn't give them to me, it's not right or wrong, just disappointing.

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it's not right or wrong and the author can do whatever he likes with his characters. Disappointing is a good description of how I felt after reading this one. Hoping Child goes back to Classic Reacher for the next book!

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u