Captive book review | Alexia's Books and Such: Captive book review

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, March 6, 2015

Captive book review

Captive book reviewCaptive by Aimee Carter

**eARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley**

For the past two months, Kitty Doe's life has been a lie. Forced to impersonate the Prime Minister's niece, her frustration grows as her trust in her fake fiancé cracks, her real boyfriend is forbidden and the Blackcoats keep her in the dark more than ever.

But in the midst of discovering that her role in the Hart family may not be as coincidental as she thought, she's accused of treason and is forced to face her greatest fear: Elsewhere. A prison where no one can escape.

As one shocking revelation leads to the next, Kitty learns the hard way that she can trust no one, not even the people she thought were on her side. With her back against the wall, Kitty wants to believe she'll do whatever it takes to support the rebellion she believes in - but is she prepared to pay the ultimate price? (Goodreads)


My Review:

Captive is the sequel to Pawn, book two in The Blackcoat Rebellion series. While I liked the first book better, this is still a good read!

Kitty is an amazing character! Raised in a group home and thrust into a dangerous situation, she refuses to passively sit back and let others dictate her life. While she has limited choices, she does her best with what she has. Is she the best and brightest? No. But she's smart and resourceful, and that makes a difference.

Once Kitty was sent to Elsewhere, the plot really picked up! What a fascinating place! Made me think of a Russian gulag, or what I imagine a Russian gulag would be like. It's a jail, but one where no one gets out alive.

Everyone has an assigned job, lives in bunkhouses, eats horrible food, and is provided with only the basic necessities in order to survive. What an incredibly bleak existence.

Kitty's assigned job, once I understood what was happening, is absolutely horrifying. What's even more horrifying is that no one thinks it's horrifying. How they can be so matter-of-fact about doing something so heinous is just another example of how terrible life in Elsewhere is!

There are a couple of coincidences in this story that I didn't buy into, but understood that they were necessary in order to move the plot where the author wanted. I just wish they could have been handled in a better way. Still a good story, but not as believable as I'd like. I know it's fiction, but I still like my fiction to be at least possible in real life, know what I mean?

There's a big ending with lots of action and a surprise twist, so I'm curious to see what the author does next!






5 comments:

  1. Yeah, when things aren't believable, even in fantasy books, I get annoyed. Sorry this one wasn't as great as the first. It did sounds good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a little annoying, but I still want to read the next one to see where the author takes things!

      Delete
  2. I do know what you mean but a lot of times I can suspend belief. Other than that problem, it sounds like an interesting book! Might have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny because I usually sail right by huge plot holes and not even notice, but this time a couple of little things bothered me that I couldn't get past. Still a good story though, so will be curious to hear what you think if you pick it up!

      Delete
  3. Oh I remember hearing about the first. Cool that this one is out now. :) Glad to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u