Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Book Review: The Spider by Jennifer Estep

Book Review: The Spider by Jennifer Estep
Title:  The Spider
Author:  Jennifer Estep
Source:  NetGalley

For the first time, the full origin story of Gin Blanco's transformation into the fearsome assassin known as the Spider - book ten in the red-hot Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series. 

In a prequel tale, Gin Blanco goes through her paces on the way to become the most feared assassin in the Ashland. Her mentor, Fletcher Lane, is not going to go easy on her - if she’s going to become a fearsome killer, she has to learn to use her elemental Stone and Ice powers alongside old-fashioned human street smarts. (book blurb)

My Review:

Gin Blanco, aka the Spider, is one of my favorite fictional characters! She's not your typical assassin, but she's very, very good at her job. This book gives us a nice look back at how Gin became who she is today.

Young Gin is a little arrogant and has a little too much faith in her skills, so she takes on a job she probably shouldn't have touched. Her mentor Fletcher has an odd feeling about the job, but lets Gin make up her own mind.

It's a little strange to see Gin so young and naive because I'm used to her always being in control, but at the same time, it's nice. When you're young, you make mistakes. That's how you learn, even if you're learning how to be an assassin.

Really enjoyed seeing Gin in this light and was sad to see her get hurt, both physically and emotionally. But you know what they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. And boy does Gin become strong!

Another great read and a nice addition to the Elemental Assassin series! An interesting plot, lots of action, and most of our favorite characters show up! But while it was fun to take a look back, I can't wait to see what the future holds for Gin and company!

Previous reviews:

Heart of Venom (#9)
By a Thread (#6)
Spider's Revenge (#5)
Spider's Bite (#1)


14 comments:

  1. I love good feisty heroines and am always fascinated to learn how they develop. Its interesting to read how this character goes from strength to strength, the exact opposite to the female character I have just dealt with in my latest review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would like Gin, as while she does grow as a character, she doesn't turn into a ridiculous caricature like the heroine you just posted about!

      Delete
  2. How have I not heard about these books? Tsk Tsk. I need to look into these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of my favorite series, so hope you give them a try one of these days!

      Delete
  3. This is one of those series that every time I see it I kind of kick myself for not starting it sooner. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While reading them in order would let you see how the characters grow, I think they could be read as stand-alone stories. Hope you give them a try!

      Delete
  4. This is one of my favorite series! Glad you enjoyed this book! She has several novellas free on her site with this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the short stories she has online! Thanks for the reminder. :)

      Delete
  5. I still need to start this series. I'm pretty sure that I'll like Gin's story. I think its cool when an author does an origin story. Nice review, Alexa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you're able to pick up some of these books, as they're one of my favorite series!

      Delete
  6. Glad to see this series is still hitting the spot for you! Don't you LOVE it when that happens? ^_^ Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't imagine how happy I am that this series hasn't lost steam yet, as I really hate when that happens!

      Delete
  7. This is another urban fantasy series on my wishlist. Glad you are enjoying it Alexia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you're able to give it a try one of these days, as it's one of my favorites!

      Delete