January Wrap Up | Alexia's Books and Such...: January Wrap Up

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

January Wrap Up

library-6

Monthly wrap up posts seemed to help keep me on track last year, so going to try them again this year.

Books read

Didn't make my reading goal last year, so lowered it from 100 to 75 books. In order to meet my Goodreads goal, I need to read 6.25 books per month. Not a good start because I only read 1 book this month:

  1. The Stolen by Bishop O'Connell

Blog Goals

Have updated my perpetual To-Do list again! I was a little surprised to discover that I hadn't backed-up my blog since last January and hadn't updated my Reviews Page since April. I also had to catch up on cross-posting my reviews to Goodreads and Amazon, which I hadn't done since April. Oops! 


Commenting

Started the month off strong, then got sidelined by the flu. Once I was back on my feet, jumped back into the blogosphere and am trying to visit at least five blogs a day and leave comments.

Overall

I took part in the 31 Day Blogging Challenge hosted by Parajunkee and learned quite a few things. Have some new tools to use while trying to improve and grow my blog. I've been thinking about her suggestion to recycle old posts and think I'm going to do this by promoting older reviews on my social media accounts. Maybe feature one a week so I'm not spamming everybody?

I've also been playing around with the time I schedule my posts, but I'm not sure it makes a difference. I know it doesn't matter to me as a blog reader since I follow most blogs via Bloglovin, but maybe it will have an impact on my social media accounts.

Decided to focus on my Facebook Page and Tsu account instead of spreading myself too thin by trying to keep up with them all. Have to admit that I've never quite gotten the hang of Google+ and never seem to be on Twitter at the right time, so am scaling back.

Speaking of Facebook, can anyone recommend some good groups for book bloggers? I joined a couple of groups that looked promising, but no one seems willing to help the other group members and just keep promoting their own pages/blogs. I'd love to join a supportive group where we would like or share things on our Facebook pages!

Discovered that I really, really need to use my online timer to keep me on track. Even if I only plan on checking "one quick thing" and don't think I need to time myself, suddenly it's three hours later and I've got nothing done! I changed the alarm to the Dr. Who theme song, so it always makes me smile when time's up.

Here's to a great February!

28 comments:

  1. Happy February reading, hope it picks up for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It can only get better from here on out, right? ha!

      Delete
  2. Love the wrap up post. Always fun to look back and see what you've accomplished. Good luck on the reading goal! ^-^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina! I think I need to alternate my review books with my want-to-read books more often to get me back in the reading groove.

      Delete
  3. Monthly wrap-up posts help me as well!

    I am so horrible about staying online for far too long. I really should use a timer to help me out. I might give your's a try and see if it helps me.

    Online FB groups ... Bloggiesta has one and I'm thinking that there is at least one more. Want me to send you some invites?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The timer really helps keep me on track...I just need to remember to set it whenever I go online! And I'd love invites to the FB groups you mentioned! Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I love a woman with a plan. I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you though. :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lots of plans...it's the sticking to them that I need to work on! lol

      Delete
  5. Ooohhh, I've been meaning to read The Stolen too. Thanks for the reminder ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved the premise, so hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  6. Having the flu sucks! it takes so much out of you.

    I'm terrible about cross posting my reviews as well, and once you get backed up it's so overwhelming to do it.

    I hope you have a great February!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year's flu has been a bear! Can't seem to shake the cough, but feel much better otherwise. It took me a few hours to catch up on crossposting, so I've set a monthly reminder so I never fall that far behind again. Fingers crossed it works!

      Delete
  7. Having yet to find a good FB page for book bloggers I'd be interested to know if you do come across any.
    Hoping your soon fully recovered, this flu bug is really nasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I find any, I'll let you know! I know that there have to be good FB groups out there, so hope I'm able to find one.

      Delete
  8. Smart to cut back on social media. I struggle with it too. I think everyone does. Love the wrap up and the idea to promote old blog posts. I might have to do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Social media is fun, but there's so many sites that it can really eat up time. I'm really enjoying Tsu, but not ready to give up on Facebook just yet.

      I saw another blogger highlight one of their old reviews for TBT, so might do that down the road. Going to play around with it to see what works.

      Delete
  9. I really want to do monthly wrap up posts this year. I also scheduled the first 2 weeks of January and it was heavenly. I didn't the last few and I've already fallen behind! Scheduling for me is a must now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels so good when I have that cushion of scheduled posts, but I keep falling behind. I'm the Queen of Procrastination! ha!

      Delete
  10. I tend to set my GoodReads goal below what I expect to accomplish because I have a fear of failure. LOL! Bloggy to-do lists, and commenting are never-ending tasks, so don't get discouraged. I'm still trying to figure out Tsu.

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a big fan of failure either, which is why I avoid read-a-thons! lol

      Hope to see you on Tsu one of these days! I've had more interactions with others on there is only a few days than I've had in years on Facebook!

      Delete
  11. Hope you are feeling better! I've been considering doing the Tsu thing but just haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa! Feeling better and the cough is now sporadic instead of consistent, so fingers crossed it leaves soon!

      Hope to see you on Tsu soon! I like that everyone can see you posts instead of only a few like on Facebook.

      Delete
  12. Alexia are you in the Social Blogger? We have a FB group and it's pretty helpful I think. We're always open to questions when they pop up and there's a good number of us so someone usually has some idea. Plus a place to vent if you need some bloggery venting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation Anna! I requested to join. I also joined a couple of groups that Tif invited me to, so fingers crossed these are what I'm looking for! I love book bloggers, as they're always so helpful! :)

      Delete
  13. A lot of time went into that challenge last month. You did an amazing job! I just can't believe the month is over. O.O Where did the time go? lol. Oh well, on to the next month we go. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! How can it be February already? And speaking of time flying, where the heck did 2014 go??? lol

      Delete
  14. I'm tired just reading about your month. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u