Dark Triumph book review - a great read! | Alexia's Books and Such...: Dark Triumph book review - a great read!

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, February 16, 2015

Dark Triumph book review - a great read!

Dark Triumph by Robin LaFeversTitle:  Dark Triumph
Author:  Robin LaFevers
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Source: eBook received from the publisher via NetGalley

Syopsis:
When Sybella arrived at the doorstep of St Mortain half mad with grief and despair the convent were only too happy to offer her refuge - but at a price. The sisters of this convent serve Death, and with Sybella naturally skilled in both the arts of death and seduction, she could become one of their most dangerous weapons.

But her assassin's skills are little comfort when the convent returns her to the life that nearly drove her mad. Her father's rage and brutality are terrifying, and her brother's love is equally monstrous. But when Sybella discovers an unexpected ally she discovers that a daughter of Death may find something other than vengeance to live for... (Goodreads)

My Review:

This book has a slight overlap with the first book in the trilogy, Grave Mercy, which I've never really come across before. Most of the sequels I read start either shortly after the first book or somewhere down the road, so I got a little kick out of the overlap.

Like the first book, this one has a cast of characters listed at the beginning. This is one of my reading pet peeves, so I skipped ahead to the story. Why do authors feel the need to list every single character in the book? Please just let us meet them naturally, as the story progresses!

Sybella is a Daughter of Mortain (aka Death) and has been trained as an assassin at the convent's island retreat. Sent undercover to spy on her evil father, her latest assignment may prove to be too much for her. Her father could decide to kill her at any moment, her oldest brother patterns himself after Daddy Dearest so is just as bad, and her "favorite" brother wants to become a little too intimate for words. Talk about a dysfunctional family!

Some of the characters from Grave Mercy make appearances and while it's nice to see them again, this could be read as a stand-alone. I really enjoyed getting to know Sybella and my heart broke for her more than once as we learn more about her past. Despite everything, she is a survivor and has found new purpose in her life serving Mortain.

Really loved the action and adventure in this one! Great characters, some dark twists and turns, and a satisfying ending make this a must-read if you like fantasy!


14 comments:

  1. I loved this whole series, and the 2nd one might have been my favorite as well. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell in love with the series too, and can't wait to read book three!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this one as well! I think this one was my fave. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melisa! Sybella is pretty awesome, isn't she? Loved her interactions with Beast!

      Delete
  3. I've not read this series. But that is neat that the books overlap some. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you give this series a chance, as I think you'll really like it!

      Delete
  4. I still haven't gotten to the first book but I plan on it one of these days. I hope I enjoy the series as much as you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You raise a good point about overlap being uncommon in series. That paired with the dark twists has certainly managed to pique my interest. I skip over character glossaries too, although they can be super useful when you're typing up your review to check name spelling and such.

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you give this series a chance, as it's really good! And you're right about glossaries being good for checking character names! :)

      Delete
  6. I'm obsessed with the cover. I like when there's a bit of overlap because I tend to have a long time between books. I am going to add this series to my Amazon Q of books to buy (holy cow, it's getting enormous)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought the overlap was a great idea, as I tend to forget what happened in the last book too and this brought it all back. Haven't read the final book in the trilogy yet, but looking forward to it!

      Delete
  7. I've never been a big fan of character lists either.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u