Book Review: Shattered | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Shattered

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Book Review: Shattered

Shattered by Kevin Hearne Title: Shattered 
Author: Kevin Hearne

ARC received via Amazon Vine in exchange for an honest review

For nearly two thousand years, there was only one Druid left walking the Earth - Atticus O’Sullivan, the Iron Druid, whose sharp wit and sharp sword kept him alive while pursued by a pantheon of hostile deities. Now he’s got company. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:

We get to meet another Druid in this book; Atticus' archdruid, who trained him way back when. And what a character! Renamed Owen to fit in with the modern world, he's a crusty, no-nonsense man who isn't afraid to cut Atticus down to size and put him in his place when needed. Loved that!

In this story, Atticus takes turns narrating with Owen and Granuaile. The multiple points of view were easy to follow and added a nice depth to the story. Unfortunately, it took me much too long to catch onto the fact that each chapter heading had a symbol to let you know who was narrating that chapter. d'oh!

Really enjoyed Owen's introduction to the modern world, although he took several things in stride that I thought would stump him. It was nice to see the old Druid hold his own without Atticus having to babysit him!

And while Oberon the wolfhound will always be my favorite character, I was thrilled that Granuaile got her own wolfhound as now Oberon will have a playmate! Looking forward to these two getting to know each other.

Really enjoyed this one, but think it would be best enjoyed if you've read at least some of the previous books. The author is very talented and has come up with some great characters! Can't wait for the next book!


10 comments:

  1. I've been in the mood for a epic fantasy. This one sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Iron Druid series is awesome, so hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Oh you have reminded me I need to catch up in the series. So cool that she gets her own pup! Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the direction that Kevin is taking this series, as I never would have thought of some of the things he's done recently. Really love Owen and the new dog!

      Delete
  3. I'm never sure if I want to give this series a try or not. One of these days, I may have to, just to see what everyone else is so into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe try one of the earlier books, but not entirely sure that it's something you'd enjoy. You never know though, so would be curious to see if you're as captivated as the rest of us!

      Delete
  4. I really need to read this series. I am pretty sure I own books 1 and 2..grr. Love your review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this series, so hope you're able to find time for it! Will keep an eye out for your review, because I want everyone to meet Oberon & love him like I do! :)

      Delete
  5. I didn't read the review. Sorry. I've yet to start the series. *duck* I have the first 3 books here and need to get going! lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa! *shakes finger* I think you'll really like this series, so hope you start reading it soon!

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u