31Days Blogging Challenge Day 31: Put Your Blog To The Test | Alexia's Books and Such...: 31Days Blogging Challenge Day 31: Put Your Blog To The Test

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, February 2, 2015

31Days Blogging Challenge Day 31: Put Your Blog To The Test

Parajunkee is hosting a Better Blogging Challenge again this year. She hosted something similar for 2014 and I had fun taking part, so thought I'd try it again this year! I like that the challenge is pretty flexible and you're not locked into doing every single task.

31 Days of Better Blogging

Day 31:  Put Your Blog to the Test

Your task today is to put your blog to the test.

Rachel lists ten ways to put your blog to the test. I did well on some, not so well on others, and was totally confused with a few so skipped over them.

Test the speed of your blog - I used Website Speed Test, but my results were all over the place. Anything under 3 seconds is supposed to be good, but my results ranged from 2.17 to 15.4 seconds. Unless I hear otherwise, going to assume that my blog's load speed is in an acceptable range.

Test your server by doing a load impact test - not really sure what the results on this one mean, but didn't have anything in red so assuming that's good!

Use BrowserShots to see how your blog looks on all servers - This was a surprise, as my blog didn't look right in any of the screenshots! I've checked Chrome, Explorer, Opera, and Firefox and it looked okay, so am taking these results with a grain of salt.

Is your site mobile friendly? - I checked using both Mobi and Google. Mobi said that my blog would display very poorly on mobile phones, but Google said I was mobile friendly. Another test result I'm going to take with a grain of salt.

Check security, RSS and the general status of your blog using Is My Blog Working - Finally! A test that I passed with flying colors!

Check for broken links - I know that I have several broken links on my site and finding/correcting them is an ongoing project. There are quite a few, so it might take awhile.

Check how popular your site is, how engaged your users are and other stats using Alexa - Well, that was depressing.... My global rank is over the 14 million mark. This is why I don't like ranking sites!


A little sad that the Blogging Challenge is over, as I learned several things and had fun to boot! Have several new tools to play with and going to try a few of the ideas Rachel suggested. Love these challenges, as I always learn something new!


16 comments:

  1. Interesting. I followed a few of these links to put my blog to the quick test. And well... I guess I'm happy I have fun with it. ;) I think your site loads a-okay and speedy for me. :)

    Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing some of those numbers was eye-opening....and a little depressing. But like you said, we blog for fun! Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete
  2. I think your blog loads fine...I use Firefox usually!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Browser Shots thing said I was an adult/or gambling site so they can't check it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. This stuff is extreme. I guess I just don't care THAT much about the speed of my blog etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took most of the results with a grain of salt, as stats and such don't really matter to me. I get stat results from 3 different sites and they're all over the place. lol

      Delete
  5. Wow that was really something! I'm not sure whether to be shocked, happy, or in awe simply at all the tools I never knew about. *-* The Google thing I passed, the speed check not as much (thought I was doing well there too), the Alexa thingy ranked around 11,000,000. So much to digest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! So many tools out there, but sometimes I think too much information can be a dangerous thing.

      Delete
  6. Your site is really clean, and it loaded super quick for me in Google Chrome. I haven't tested my blog in a while, so thanks for the reminder!

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started doing this challenge but got behind. I figure it's a pretty good challenge to follow along at my own pace. All those numbers would be blowing my mind and I wouldn't even know where to start! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell behind too, but there's no deadline so it can be done at your own pace. Love the challenges that Rachel comes up with, as I always learn something new!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on completing the challenge. Well done you!
    Now when you come up for BEA, you'll have to show me all the tricks you've just learned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And now I'm a little afraid of what might happen if I can't make it to BEA...... *shudders*

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u