The Stolen book review - an unexpected disappointment | Alexia's Books and Such: The Stolen book review - an unexpected disappointment

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

The Stolen book review - an unexpected disappointment

The Stolen
Title:  The Stolen

Author:  Bishop O'Connell

Publisher: Harper Voyager Impulse

Source:  Review copy provided by Caitlin Hamilton Marketing & Publicity, LLC

Synopsis:
Tonight, for the first time in over a century, a mortal child will be kidnapped by faeries.

When her daughter Fiona is snatched from her bed, Caitlin's entire world crumbles. Once certain that faeries were only a fantasy, Caitlin must now accept that these supernatural creatures do exist--and that they have traded in their ancient swords and horses for modern guns and sports cars. 

Hopelessly outmatched, she accepts help from a trio of unlikely heroes: Eddy, a psychiatrist and novice wizard; Brendan, an outcast Fian warrior; and Dante, a Magister of the fae's Rogue Court. Moving from the busy streets of Boston's suburbs to the shadowy land of Tir na nOg, Caitlin and her allies will risk everything to save Fiona. But can this disparate quartet conquer their own inner demons and outwit the dark faeries before it's too late? (Goodreads) 

My Thoughts:

While the premise of this book really intrigued me, the story itself let me down a little. The plot was interesting, the characters were intriguing, the writing was good, and I love anything to do with the Fae. So why didn't this book draw me in as expected?

Most of the story is told from Caitlin's point of view, then it splits and we have Caitlin's and Eddy's parallel adventures. The duel story lines were easy to follow and interesting enough, but I found myself putting the book down more than once for some reason.

After stewing about it for awhile, I think that it was the pace of the plot that ultimately put me off. We know from the synopsis that Caitlin has to travel to Tir na nOg to try to retrieve her daughter, but it takes almost half the book before they even cross!

While it's important to set things up, it felt like the author was giving us almost too much information. I kept waiting for Caitlin to cross over into Fae territory and I admit that I became impatient.

While not a bad book, it was just okay for me. If anyone else has read this one, I'd love to know what you thought! It took me much too long to finish this one, but I'm not 100% sure why.


12 comments:

  1. Irish fantasy, actually with many other mythologies and elements, consider trying The Iron Druid Chronicles, by Kevin Hearne, Alexa. The action and pacing are much faster than described in The Stolen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, I LOVE The Iron Druid series! Oberon is one of my favorite characters, human or canine! Even like the addition of Owen, who is really growing on me.

      Delete
  2. I hate when something big in the summary doesn't appear until a ways into the book. It does leave you frustrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I kept waiting for it to pick it the pace and got impatient.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, sometimes books are like that for us. Bummer to hear. Thanks for sharing on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Playing it safe by picking one of my favorite authors for my next read! :)

      Delete
  4. The cover caught my eye and the description wasn't half bad either....too bad it didn't win you over pace wise. Better luck next read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's disappointing. I've read some like that before where I just got impatient and ready for things to unfold a bit quicker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear that I'm not alone with wanting a faster plot!

      Delete
  6. Hmm. I'm sorry this left you with a lukewarm feeling. I picked up the Kindle since it was $.99. You know I'm all about the Celtic mythology.
    I haven't read it yet, but I guess I will before I buy the sequel. Thanks for the head's up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will be curious to hear what you think of this one! Will keep my eye out for your review.

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u