Vision of Fire book review | Alexia's Books and Such...: Vision of Fire book review

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Vision of Fire book review

 photo visionoffire.jpgVision of Fire by Gillian Anderson and Jeff Rovin

**Review copy received from the publisher**

The first novel from iconic X-Files star Gillian Anderson and New York Times bestselling author Jeff Rovin: a science fiction thriller of epic proportions.

Renowned child psychologist Caitlin O’Hara is a single mom trying to juggle her job, her son, and a lackluster dating life. Her world is suddenly upturned when Maanik, the daughter of India’s ambassador to the United Nations, starts speaking in tongues and having violent visions. Caitlin is sure that her fits have something to do with the recent assassination attempt on her father - a shooting that has escalated nuclear tensions between India and Pakistan to dangerous levels - but when teenagers around the world start having similar outbursts, Caitlin begins to think that there’s a more sinister force at work. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:

To be honest, I went into this book with low expectations. A debut novel, much less a debut novel by an actor (with the help of a secondary author), can be hit or miss. After an inauspicious beginning, the story soon drew me in and I enjoyed the journey!

While Caitlin is the main character, the story switches to different POVs throughout the book. These changes were disconcerting and annoying at times, as I wanted to find out what happened next with Caitlin! While the info might have been necessary to move the story forward, I wish the transitions had been smoother.

Overall it was the story itself that kept me going, as I found it fascinating! Why are teenagers in different parts of the world exhibiting the same weird symptoms? What's with the mysterious symbol they've drawn? And what is the secretive Global Explorers Club up to?

Hoping that the writing in the next book is more polished, but really hope that the story lives up to its potential and doesn't peter out. I really want to know what the authors have planned next!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure how I feel about actors turning author. I read a couple from Babylon 5 actors which were Sci Fi and not too bad, but I generally don't read books written by actors.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u