Book Review: Poison Promise | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Poison Promise

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, July 18, 2014

Book Review: Poison Promise

Book Review:  Poison Promise by Jennifer EstepPoison Promise by Jennifer Estep

Expected publication: July 22nd 2014 by Pocket Books

eARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Gin Blanco is hard-nosed, sexy, and lethal. Nicknamed “The Spider,” she’s a stone elemental assassin who brings her unique mix of magic and tact to every assignment, no matter the target.

There’s a new drug on the streets of Ashland, and its name “Burn” sums up the potent effect it has on its users. When one of her restaurant employees is threatened by dealers of the drug, Gin steps in to set things straight… (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:

Despite her fervent wish to be left alone, people keep trying to kill Gin. Just because she's the assassin who finally took down Mab Monroe, that doesn't mean it's open season on her. Too bad no one told the bad guys.

This time Gin sort of brought the trouble on herself, by stepping in when she saw one of her waitresses being harassed in a parking lot. Little did she know that she would soon be in neck deep with a nasty vampire drug lord!

Bria, Gin's sister, is obsessed with taking down the drug lord. This makes a difficult situation even more complicated for Gin. It's not easy for an assassin to have an honest cop for a sister, and this case shows signs of straining their relationship.

The nasty vampire is pushing a really nasty drug, so you just know that Gin will get involved sooner or later. I still like that Gin is human despite her elemental powers, and she gets hurt during fights. I don't like that she takes unnecessary risks and have to wonder if she's maybe losing her edge? Can assassins ever retire?

Gin mentions at one point that she's tired of all the blood, the bodies, the sneak attacks, and having to be constantly vigilant. I got the impression that maybe the author is getting a little tired of Gin too. Can't put my finger on it, but this one didn't seem to have the energy of the previous books. It's still an interesting story and I don't think I'll ever get tired of reading about Gin and her friends, but there was something missing this time around.

I'm curious to see if anyone else got this impression or if I'm just reading between lines that aren't there. I really love Gin and watching her relationships with her family and friends grow, so I really hope I'm mistaken about the author losing interest!

Have you read the Elemental Assassin books? Please leave a comment and let me know what you think of Gin and company!

Previous reviews:

The Spider (#10)
Heart of Venom (#9)
By a Thread (#6)
Spider's Revenge (#5)
Spider's Bite (#1)



5 comments:

  1. I hope the author isn't tired of the characters!! I haven't read any of these, so I can't say. Thanks for sharing though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I follow the author's blog and she wants to write more books in this series, so fingers crossed! This is one of my favorites!

      Delete
  2. I really need to catch up on the Elemental Assassin's books! She took down Mab?! OMG. I need to catch up STAT! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to read this series, as it's beyond awesome!!!

      Delete
  3. I'll confess, I skimmed the review. I have to get this far in the series yet. :) But I know you are so enjoying it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u