Review: I Am The Mission | Alexia's Books and Such: Review: I Am The Mission

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, June 23, 2014

Review: I Am The Mission

I Am The Mission by Allen Zadoff - Alexia's Books and Such I Am The Mission by Allen Zadoff

Review copy provided via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

He was the perfect assassin. No name. No past. No remorse. Perfect, that is, until he began to ask questions and challenge his orders. Now The Program is worried that their valuable soldier has become a liability.

And so Boy Nobody is given a new mission. A test of sorts. A chance to prove his loyalty.

His objective: Take out Eugene Moore, the owner of an extremist military training camp for teenagers. It sounds like a simple task, but a previous operative couldn't do it. He lost the mission and is presumed dead. Now Boy Nobody is confident he can finish the job. Quickly.

But when things go awry, Boy Nobody finds himself lost in a mission where nothing is as it seems: not The Program, his allegiances, nor the truth.

The riveting second book in Allen Zadoff's Boy Nobody series delivers heart-pounding action and a shocking new twist that makes Boy Nobody question everything he has believed. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:

Since I really enjoyed the first book in this series (check out my I Am the Weapon review), I was happy to receive an email invitation to review I Am the Mission

The story picks up soon after the end of book one. Confused by his feelings during the last mission, Boy goes off grid to try and sort out his thoughts. But apparently agents of The Program aren't allowed to simply disappear and they soon track him down. 

Thrown into another new mission without his usual prep time, things don't go as planned and Boy must rely on his instincts and training in order to get the job done. Unfortunately, nothing is as it seems.

While trying to take out his target, Boy's doubts about The Program return and he isn't sure which way to turn. Then something happens that results in even more questions. Needless to say, things are not going well for Boy. 

This is another great read and I'm already looking forward to book three! Interesting characters, both old friends and new, really make this story believable. Thought it was a well paced storyline with a realistic premise and I was never bored!

Not very happy with the abrupt cliffhanger of an ending, but it did set the scene nicely for the next book. I really like Boy and while I don't always agree with the choices he makes, they're understandable considering his background. 

Don't let the fact that Boy is a sixteen year old trained assassin put you off reading this series! There's nothing overly descriptive and most of the violence is presented in a matter-of-fact way. As someone who can't watch horror movies because I get queasy, trust me when I say these are well worth reading!

12 comments:

  1. That's great you're still loving this series. I really do want to read the first one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you're able to start the series, as I really like the MC!

      Delete
  2. Uh-oh the dreaded cliffhanger.

    Thank you for the advice at the end as like yourself I'm easily put off by the thought of gratuitous violence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big baby when it comes to overly descriptive acts of violence, so thought others might appreciate a heads up!

      Delete
  3. I don't think its the level if violence that would bother me, rather its the idea of a killer kid to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understandable. I was more bothered when reading about child soldiers in Africa, probably because I knew one was real and the other fictional.

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of this series, but now I'm interested! I don't mind cliffhanger endings as long as the story is somewhat wrapped up. Great review! I'll have to check this series out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cliffhanger took me a little by surprise, as I was so into the story! Can't wait to see what happens next, as I feel really invested in Boy's story now!

      Delete
  5. Oh it does sound good. And thanks for the last paragraph. I put off Hunger Games for so long because of the kid killing kid thing. This has a touch of that as well, but I might have learned my lesson with Hunger Games. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to know I'm not alone when it comes to being squeamish! *L*

      Delete
  6. I think remember book one. Sounds like the series is doing well. I'll check it out. :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did, Anna!

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u