First rule of book blogs: THERE ARE NO RULES!!! | Alexia's Books and Such...: First rule of book blogs: THERE ARE NO RULES!!!

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

First rule of book blogs: THERE ARE NO RULES!!!

Einstein - Alexia's Books and Such...
Your argument has been rendered non-relativistic

First rule of book blogs:  THERE ARE NO RULES!!!


Sorry for shouting, but this is one of my pet peeves and I just came across yet another blog post talking about the rules for book blogging and I started shouting at my poor laptop! I think I scared my dog:

Alexia's Books and Such...
Not really. This is an old picture, but isn't she adorable?

Dear Well-meaning Blogger, you are not the Blog Police and you do not get to lay down a set of rules for everyone to follow. There are no freaking rules! That's what makes the blogosphere so wonderful!

Do you want to post every day? Great! Want to post once every other month because you're incredibly busy and don't have the time? That's okay too. Post memes three times a day? Good for you! Post nothing but cover reveals and book blasts? Whatever floats your boat. It's your blog, so you can do whatever you want! That's the freedom of book blogging!

Freedom! - Alexia's Books and Such...
@Braveheart

So enough with the lists of Do's & Don'ts for Book Blogging. I understand that you probably just want to help out new bloggers, but your posts are coming across as rules set in stone. Let me reiterate: There Are No Rules!

Let new bloggers find their own voice! If they have questions, let them know that you're more than happy to help them out but please, please, please stop trying to write the Ten Commandments of Book Blogging!

Post whenever you have time and whatever you want. Write long reviews, short reviews, or no reviews. Pimp your blog six ways to Sunday or wait to be discovered. Use a basic template or hire a web designer for something custom and unique. Join memes and read-a-thons and blog hops and giveaways and book tours. Or don't. It's your blog, so do whatever makes you happy!


No Rules! - Alexia's Books and Such...

12 comments:

  1. Great post. This is a pet peeve of mine and I think as a blogger we need to find our own voice because if we all start to follow set rules we become robots. I have to admit I LMAO when I read them because they are so darn funny...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy! I probably shouldn't blog when annoyed, but I get all huffy when someone tries to tell me what to do. I wouldn't mind posts with helpful hints, but hate it when someone insists it's their way or the highway! Think I just saw one post too many and snapped... *L*

      Delete
  2. Food for thought. I never considered them that light. I usually find those types of posts because I'm actively looking for them. Mostly when I'm depressed over my lack of pageviews and I'm looking to remedy that situation.

    Within limits, there are methods out there I just won't use, some I've tried which failed, or didn't make any sense in the first place.

    But I can see your point clearly. To claim that your way is the ONLY way and therefore everybody else is doing it wrong is not the type of encouragement I think new bloggers need. (or old ones either).

    Mulluane @ http://oldbatsbelfry.blogspot.com/ and http://dragonsheroesandwizards.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the Blog Police mentality that gets to me. Most of us started blogging because we love books and wanted to share that love, but everyone expresses it differently. The individuality of everyone's blogs is one of the things I love about the blogosphere and I wish people would stop trying to squeeze everyone into the same mold!

      Delete
  3. Nice post. I think those types of posts can go either way. Sometimes they are nice to learn new things or give you ideas on how you adjust your blog. But I agree overall with you though. There are no rules and you have to love blogging to do it. Otherwise, what's the point?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think reading that you should never leave your blog link in a comment was the straw that broke the camels back for me. I like it when people leave their links because it makes it easier for me to find their blog. I sometimes leave my link in a comment. I don't like people telling me I'm doing something wrong when I'm not, so I may have snapped. Yea, I have issues... *L*

      Delete
  4. Amen! And I think I would care more about these rules if I cared more about getting a bazillion readers. The way I look at it is this, if you stumble upon my blog, like it, and decide to keep coming back, thank you and I hope I keep you entertained. If you don't like it, I'm okay with that too. You have to blog with yourself in mind first, otherwise it starts to feel like a second unpaid job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's what I keep saying. I know Google wants so many posts a week and x number of word count limit to posts, all to stay in a ranking in Google's lists when people google for you.

    *roll my eyes*

    THERE ARE NO RULES!

    Everyone blogging has their own way and their own life. It all varies. Each person has to come to this at their own pace and realize what they are comfortable with.

    That's all that matters. YOU. ME. The blogger in charge of the blog.

    Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, yes, yes!! I agree with you wholeheartedly on this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My only rule... BE YOURSELF! :) Sorry... I guess I just shouted too. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u