Book Review: Tales of the Hidden World | Alexia's Books and Such...: Book Review: Tales of the Hidden World

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, June 27, 2014

Book Review: Tales of the Hidden World

Tales of the Hidden WorldTales of the Hidden World by Simon R. Green

eARC received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Seventeen delightfully unexpected stories from Simon R. Green - including a brand new adventure of the Droods - take us deep into the Darkside, embroil us in the Secret Histories, and lead us into the shadowy places where monsters and demons roam. Welcome to the worlds of Simon R. Green. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:

Short stories and anthologies are a particular favorite of mine, but seem to be remarkably hard to pull off. Green proves that he's a master, as this collection is amazing! While the famous Droods do make an appearance, the rest of the stories are with new characters and situations, and left me wanting more!

While I enjoyed all of the stories, I particularly liked Dorothy Dreams, which had a nice twist to Dorothy's story from the Wizard of Oz. It's All About the Rendering is another standout, about the caretakers of a house that stands on the border between reality and fantasy. A sanctuary for those who need it, there are also those who wish to destroy it.

Food of the Gods is another one that stayed with me. It reminded me of another story at first, but had a unique twist at the end that I didn't see coming. I could see Solder, Soldier as a movie, one that I'd pay to see! It just struck me as something for the big screen.

Some of these stories are new and some are from when Green was just starting out. I enjoyed them all! Even the short Death Is A Lady, which was only a few paragraphs long. Talk about your short story!

A nice introduction to Green, but a somewhat different writing style from his series. If you like short stories, I think you'd like this collection!

2 comments:

  1. Don't do short stories very much but with th edifferent writing style and one that just sticks with you sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Short stories are one of my favorites, but I know that they aren't to everyone's tastes. Love Simon Green though, so hope you give one of his regular books a try!

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u