Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Book Review: Then and Always

Book Review:  Then and Always by Dani Atkins - Alexia's Books and SuchThen and Always by Dani Atkins

eARC received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Rachel Wiltshire has everything she’s ever wanted: a close group of friends, a handsome boyfriend, and acceptance to the journalism program at her top-choice college. But one fateful evening, tragedy tears her world apart. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:

Rachel's life has not gone as expected and she's been wallowing in grief ever since a tragic accident five years ago. In town for her best friend's wedding, Rachel wakes up in the hospital to find that her life is now everything she ever dreamed! Engaged to her high school sweetheart, living in a gorgeous apartment and working her dream job, Rachel isn't sure what is and isn't real.

This story reminded me of several other amnesia stories I've read over the years, but it had its own little twist at the end. As someone who usually doesn't figure out endings in advance, I saw this one coming about halfway through the story. That didn't effect my enjoyment in any way, but did take away the surprise.

Have to admit that I had a hard time with Rachel. While I understood the foundation of her grief, I couldn't understand why she seemed to use it as an excuse to be miserable. I know that everyone grieves differently, but I got the impression that she had no interest in moving on and just wanted to wallow. Doesn't everyone have to eventually pick up the pieces and get on with their life? Five years seems a little excessive to me.

And once Rachel woke up to her perfect life, why did she find it so hard to believe? Did she miss her miserable existence so much? Although she's right to be suspicious, I was surprised that anyone else believed her.

While a little on the predictable side, I think this would make a good beach read as it's quick & easy and doesn't demand too much thought. Would love to hear what anyone else thinks of this one! Am I the only one annoyed by Rachel, or did she strike anyone else as a Debby Downer?

No comments:

Post a Comment