Friday, May 30, 2014

Book Review: The Reflections of Queen Snow White

Book Review: The Reflections of Queen Snow White by David C. MeredithThe Reflections of Queen Snow White by David C. Meredith

eBook received from the author in exchange for an honest review

What happens when "happily ever after" has come and gone?

On the eve of her only daughter, Princess Raven's wedding, an aging Snow White finds it impossible to share in the joyous spirit of the occasion. The ceremony itself promises to be the most glamorous social event of the decade. Snow White’s castle has been meticulously scrubbed, polished and opulently decorated for the celebration. It is already nearly bursting with jubilant guests and merry well-wishers. Prince Edel, Raven's fiancĂ©, is a fine man from a neighboring kingdom and Snow White's own domain is prosperous and at peace. Things could not be better, in fact, except for one thing:  The king is dead. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:

Until the TV show Once Upon A Time, the Disney movie was my only exposure to Snow White's story and, to be honest, I was not a fan. I'm not sure if it was her voice or how she was drawn, but Disney's Snow White really annoyed me for some reason. But I love the TV version of Snow, and was intrigued by this books premise of what happens once your Happily Ever After is over.

Poor Snow White is still grieving Prince Charming's death over a year later. Even though her daughter's impending marriage should be a happy time, she is deeply depressed and can't seem to begin healing. Looking for a quiet spot in the bustling castle, she finds herself in her evil stepmother's old apartment and stumbles upon the Magic Mirror.

Half convinced the mirror is an evil demon, it insists that it is just a mirror and only shows a person's reflection. It's not the mirror's fault if the person isn't happy with what they see, but is Snow White brave enough to examine her reflected life closely? The mirror then takes her on a journey of reflection, reminding her of all she's survived.

This story shows a much darker version of Snow White's life than the Disney fairy tale. Her stepmother wasn't just cruel, but incredibly abusive. That Snow survived the mental, emotional, and physical abuse is amazing! And the mirror has even more to show her, as Life With Stepmonster isn't Snow's only memory to reflect upon.

I'm a little torn about my reaction to this story. On the one hand, I really like the idea of a magic mirror helping you reflect upon your life by reliving memories, both good and bad. But on the other hand, I'm still not a fan of Snow White and this version didn't help change my mind. She seemed a little too self-pitying for my tastes and my impression was that she relied on men to save her instead of saving herself. That's a major pet peeve of mine! I also didn't like how she treated the mirror afterwards.

All in all, I did enjoy the story. I thought it was an original premise and I liked the tweaks the author made to the fairy tale. Snow White still isn't my type of fairy tale princess, but this story is worth reading for all the unique touches.

Would love to hear from anyone else who's read this one! Am I taking Snow's weepiness the wrong way? And am I the only one bugged by the mirror's ultimate fate? I know it's just a mirror, but it's a magic mirror and deserved better! Plus, I want one....

17 comments:

  1. I did really like the take on the mirror. I thought it was really interesting. I understood Snow's depression about her husband, but I agree that some of the memories that were supposed to show us how she was brave or whatever only seemed to reiterate that men were always saving her. Regardless, I did think this was worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it's worth reading because of the original twists, and would love to read a prequel about the mirror!

      Delete
  2. I never particularly cared for Snow White either. I'm not really a classic Disney Princess kind of girl, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the classic princesses annoyed me when I was a girl. I wanted to be the one saving the prince, not waiting for someone to save me! Guess I was an early feminist. *L*

      Delete
  3. This still looks like an intriguing read! Snow White was never my favourite princess either!

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Snow! I really wanted to like her because she was the only non-blonde princess, but there was just something about her that I didn't like.

      Delete
  4. I've never read this but it sounds interesting! I admit- I love Once Upon a Time's Snow White (I heart Ginnifer as her!) but not so much the classic Snow White.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the "new" version of Snow White! OUAT is one of my new favorites!

      Delete
  5. Snow White is abandoned in the forest and the dwarves give her a home where she cares for them. Then along comes this handsome prince who sweeps her off her feet and she leaves without a backward glance. She was an opportunist, plain and simple. No, I never cared for her much, but Cam does like the dwarves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought of it that way, but you're right! The poor dwarves!

      Delete
  6. This does sound like a neat take on the snow white story. Cool. :D Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a quick read, so hope you give it a try!

      Delete
  7. Other than Once Upon a Time, my favorite Snow White story is the movie with Sigourney Weaver as the Evil Queen. I like the idea of this story, maybe a little inspired by The Lady Of Shalott.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never saw that version, but love Sigourney Weaver so will have to keep an eye out for it!

      Delete
  8. See? This is the beauty of books and reading.People can read the same story and get totally different things from it. As for me, I personally enjoyed it and actually thought it let Snow White be a little STRONGER of a character. Thanks for sharing your adventure and inviting others to do the same! ^-^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right Gina! I love seeing what other people thought of the same book, as everyone seems to take away something different from the story!

      Delete
  9. See? This is the beauty of books and reading.People can read the same story and get totally different things from it. As for me, I personally enjoyed it and actually thought it let Snow White be a little STRONGER of a character. Thanks for sharing your adventure and inviting others to do the same! ^-^

    ReplyDelete