Book Review: One Hundred Names by Cecelia Ahern | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: One Hundred Names by Cecelia Ahern

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Book Review: One Hundred Names by Cecelia Ahern

Book Review:  One Hundred Names by Cecelia AhernOne Hundred Names by Cecelia Ahern

ARC received from William Morrow Paperbacks in exchange for an honest review

Journalist Kitty Logan's career is being destroyed by scandal - and now she faces losing the woman who guided and taught her everything she knew. At her terminally ill friend's bedside, Kitty asks - what is the one story she always wanted to write? The answer lies in a file buried in Constance's office: a list of one hundred names. There is no synopsis, nothing to explain what the story is or who these people are. The list is simply a mystery. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:

Having read and enjoyed Ahern's books in the past, I was more than a little disappointed by this one. While the mystery of the 100 names is intriguing, I'm sad to say that Kitty is not.

The scandal that's destroying Kitty's career is a situation that no professional journalist should ever allow to happen. Aren't they supposed to research, fact-check, and verify all of their information? And what about her editors and producers and all the other support staff? The scandal didn't ring true for me and got in the way of my enjoyment of the story.

I also found Kitty hard to sympathize with, especially when she feels more sorry for herself than the others involved. She just struck me as incredibly self-centered, and ultimately unlikable. But the 100 names mystery? That kept my interest.

Kitty gets lucky and finds a clue to the names in Constance's cluttered home. Tracking down some of the names, we get to know them and their stories, but not why Constance had them on a list.

Working against a tight deadline, Kitty thinks she's finally figured out the mystery of the list and presents it to her boss. The ending was tied up a little too nice and neat for my tastes, but did have a certain charm.

Not one of my favorites by Ahern, but the mystery and the secondary characters made this a nice read. Ahern is a clever, talented writer and I look forward to seeing what she comes up with next!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting concept, too bad the details weren't tight enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a very talented writer, but this one just didn't work for me. :(

      Delete
  2. You know what I like...

    Thanks, Terri for another great review and pointing me in the right direction, again :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  3. A shame that you found this one a bit disappointing. It's been a while since I read any of her books as I find her writing very unpredictable in that I'll love it or feel totally let down by it. Here's hoping that the next book of hers you read is more your cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u