Social media is sucking me dry.... | Alexia's Books and Such: Social media is sucking me dry....

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Social media is sucking me dry....

random thoughts
@lolcats
I have a sticky note on my desktop with the following list:

*Stumble
*Facebook blog page
*Pinterest
*Google+
*Bloglovin'
*email
*Twitter
*Reddit
*blog comments

This is to remind me what I need to spend time on every day. I set my timer for 15 minutes, then move on to the next item. I don't get to every item every day, but it's starting to become habit.

Why am I doing this? A combination of Bloggiesta inspiring me to be more active online, and an online course I'm taking.

My Facebook page and Google+ account were being sadly neglected, as I used to just post links to my recent reviews and call it a day. I'm trying to interact more on both of these, but it seems most of the people I'm following just post links.

I'm still not sure about Google+. Am I supposed to comment there or click through to the original blog? I think I'd rather have people comment on my blog, so am doing a weird dance of +1-ing, then blog commenting. I'm using the +1 and share buttons the same way I do on Facebook, but still trying to figure the rest out.

Reddit is something new to me. I joined one of their gift exchanges, so figured I should start participating. Have found a few interesting boards, but it's another time suck unless I use my timer, so have to be careful!

Does anyone else drive themselves crazy with too many social media outlets? Any suggestions about which are the "important" platforms I should concentrate on? I keep reading that Facebook is dying and everyone is moving to Google+, but I don't see much interaction on either platform.

I just want to talk about books with my fellow book lovers, so why does social media make it so hard? *sigh*

20 comments:

  1. I like that is a good idea to set a timer for social media. I tend to start and spend too much on Facebook which gives me lowest engagement. Yay for keeping up god Bloggiesta habits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found that if I don't set a timer, the whole day can go by in the blink of an eye and I get nothing else done!

      Delete
  2. Such a great discussion topic! I personally think I spend too much time on social media, but it is honestly probably not enough time in reality. I take a few minutes in the morning to check my FB page, Twitter account, and G+ notifications. I then just try to check in throughout the day and right before I go to bed at night. All in all, I would probably say that I spend about an hour or two total on all these. Unless I get caught up on a conversation on Twitter, then it could be longer! I am really curious to hear what everyone has to say on this one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I feel like I'm missing out, especially with Twitter. I never seem to be on at the same time as others, so miss out on talking to people. And I'm working on catching up on my reading, so that takes up a good chunk of time too. I think I need more hours in the day! *L*

      Delete
  3. I honestly don't use much social media. I find that just vising blogs and starting conversations allows for more interacting on my own blog and that's always a big goal. I have a facebook but I don't use it much for the blog...I think it's whatever you find most enjoyable/seems to be working for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my personal FB, but also a page for my blog that's been sadly neglected until now. Working on that page and Google+, but keep feeling like I'm late to the party and everyone has already moved on to the next big thing. There's just too much out there, so I need to figure out what I want to concentrate on as I sometimes feel like a hamster spinning on my wheel but not getting anywhere.... Think it's time for bed, as I'm getting a little mopey now. *L*

      Delete
  4. Whoa, I'm overwhelmed at the very thought of all those platforms! I can barely manage popping onto Twitter on a given day along with visiting some blogs a few times a week. I completely avoid Facebook and Google+ on purpose, they just don't seem to be a good place for me to interact with book bloggers and readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently discovered Google+ communities and have joined a few, so hoping to find some good discussions there. The one that really surprised me is Reddit, as I've found some really interesting groups! I think that part of the problem is that there are so many platforms now that we're too spread out and can't find each other.

      Delete
  5. I had to laugh at your post as I thought I was the only one to have such a list.

    On way less sites than you I don't know how you keep up with them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you are definitely NOT alone in having a reminder list! I know a few bloggers who seem to be everywhere, and I have no idea how they manage it!

      Delete
  6. Actually, you bring a good point. There's A LOT of focus on setting up all sorts of accounts and to follow all accounts in order to keep updated and connected. For some reason (and as much as I enjoy social media), I think most book bloggers are spreading themselves thin on the 5 or 6 platforms they're on.

    I say pick the ones that really matter, and stick to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - every time you turn around, there's another article about a new platform you simply MUST join! My problem (well, one of my problems!) is that I'm not sure which ones to focus on. Thinking about keeping this up for a few weeks, then picking the ones I enjoy and chucking the rest.

      Delete
  7. I wouldn't want to spread myself so thin. It's tempting, if you're using social media to promote your blog, just because you'd be reaching a slightly different audience with each platform. But just not worth the headache for me. I agree with Dazzling Mage, with the caveat that "the ones that really matter" are the ones that YOU enjoy using!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! I'm surprised that the one I'm enjoying the most this past week is Reddit, as I rarely hear anything about it.

      Delete
  8. Social Media is crazy!! There are a few on your list I don't use. I don't have a Facebook page for my blog since Facebook marked my blog as spam and so I can't use it. Google + I have no idea what to do with either. I have an account but that's about it. I did join the BEA group so we'll see what happens with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still figuring Google+ out, but the good news is that no one else seems to know what to do with it either so we're all in the same boat! *L*

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know what? Social Media IS exhausting. However, you have to really nail down the ones most beneficial but then you have to find out which ones they are. Ugh. The worst part is it is always changing! Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u