My Book Haul (50) | Alexia's Books and Such: My Book Haul (50)

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Saturday, April 19, 2014

My Book Haul (50)

My Book Haul

In need of a new way to showcase titles, I decided that My Book Haul seems like a good fit. I like giving books a little special attention as sometimes it can be awhile before I'm able to review them. Sad to say, but some get put on the shelf and gather a little dust before I'm able to give them the love they deserve. I've included links to Goodreads if you want more information on the books.

For Review:

Simon R. Green is always a good read for me, so when I saw that he was coming out with a collection of short stories, how could I resist? Very pleased that I was able to get a review copy via NetGalley!

Tales of the Hidden World
Tales of the Hidden World by Simon R. Green

Seventeen delightfully unexpected stories from Simon R. Green - including a brand-new adventure of the Droods - take us deep into the Darkside, embroil us in the Secret Histories, and lead us into the shadowy places where monsters and demons roam. Welcome to the worlds of Simon R. Green. (Goodreads)

***
Cecelia Ahern is a talented writer and I've enjoyed all of her previous books, so was happy to accept a review offer from William Morrow Paperbacks. The synopsis sounds intriguing, and I know that Cecelia will pull me into the story immediately!

One Hundred Names
One Hundred Names by Cecelia Ahern

Journalist Kitty Logan's career is being destroyed by scandal - and now she faces losing the woman who guided and taught her everything she knew. At her terminally ill friend's bedside, Kitty asks - what is the one story she always wanted to write? The answer lies in a file buried in Constance's office: a list of one hundred names. There is no synopsis, nothing to explain what the story is or who these people are. The list is simply a mystery. (Goodreads)

***
This is one of the titles that caught my eye in Buzz Books 2014, so I was very happy to accept a review request from the publisher! If the rest of the book lives up to the sample I read, this should be a fun read!

How I Got Skinny, Famous, and Fell Madly in Love
How I Got Skinny, Famous, and Fell Madly in Love by Ken Baker

"Thick. Heavy. Big boned. Plump. Full figured. Chunky. Womanly. Large. Curvy. Plus-size. Hefty." To sixteen-year-old Emery Jackson, these are all just euphemisms for the big "F" word - "fat." Living on a Southern California beach with her workout fiend dad, underwear model sister, and former model mother, it is impossible for Emery not to be aware of her weight. (Goodreads)


What did you receive this week?


12 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness in so many ways I identify with the 16 year old Emery Jackson. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be really hard on Emery because the rest of her family are practically perfect, but she sounds like a strong girl and I can't wait to read more about her!

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen these before, they all look really interesting! Ken Baker's cover makes me giggle.

    This week I visited UK's most beautiful library! Find me Under The Mountain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Baker's cover with the pear! It's a healthy fruit, but also took it as a comment about pear-shaped bodies. *L*

      Delete
  3. How I Got Skinny, Famous, and Fell Madly in Love by Ken Baker
    sounds so good.

    I did good this week and restrained myself from book buying. I'm sure I'll make up for it next week :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good job, Karen! I've been trying to be good and stop adding to my TBR pile, but it's harder than ever now!

      Delete
  4. a lot of these are new to me I have not seen these before. Enjoy your new books.

    Grace
    books of love

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are mostly new to me! How I Got Skinny, Famous, and Fell Madly in Love sounds interesting! Quite a title!

    My Stack

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most of these are new to me. But Ive heard of How I got Skinny... Anyways, I hope you enjoy them! Hope you can stop by OUT's STS

    Leydy from OUAT & RCE

    ReplyDelete
  7. That poor MC in How I Got Skinny. I wouldn't want to live in that family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like I've read Simon Green before, but can't remember for sure. And that last one sounds really good! I went and added it to my TBR shelf on Goodreads.
    Check out my STS.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u