Book Review: How I Got Skinny, Famous, and Fell Madly in Love | Alexia's Books and Such...: Book Review: How I Got Skinny, Famous, and Fell Madly in Love

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, April 25, 2014

Book Review: How I Got Skinny, Famous, and Fell Madly in Love

Book Review: How I Got Skinny, Famous, and Fell Madly in Love by Ken BakerHow I Got Skinny, Famous, and Fell Madly in Love by Ken Baker

Review copy received from Running Press Teens in exchange for an honest review

"Thick. Heavy. Big boned. Plump. Full figured. Chunky. Womanly. Large. Curvy. Plus-size. Hefty." To sixteen-year-old Emery Jackson, these are all just euphemisms for the big "F" word - "fat." Living on a Southern California beach with her workout fiend dad, underwear model sister, and former model mother, it is impossible for Emery not to be aware of her weight. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:

Emery is a smart girl with a great sense of humor who knows that she's never going to be a size 2 like her mother and sister, but she's okay with that. More or less. While initially reluctant to take part in a reality show to lose weight, she eventually agrees in order to save her family home from foreclosure.

While I really liked and admired Emery, the whole premise of the reality show bothered me. Losing 50 pounds in 50 days isn't healthy in any way, shape, or form. And Emery is put under so much pressure that she turns to the dark side of weight-loss and develops some unhealthy habits.

Another thing that bothered me was the way Emery's weight was discussed. The various descriptions of Emery had me thinking that she was in the 250-300 pound weight range, but then we find out that she's 5'6" and 199 pounds. While technically obese, that's nowhere near the whale-like proportions mentioned throughout the book.

Emery is a great character and this book could have been so much more, but I had a hard time getting past the misrepresentations of her weight. No one with Emery's stats would have to rest her arms on rolls of fat or have overhanging belly fat obscuring her bikini bottoms! I mean, c'mon!

The author has worked in the entertainment business for awhile, including a stint as an E! News Correspondent, so I think that might be why he has such a skewed view of overweight women. I dropped my rating to a 3/5 because the weight issue bothered me so much, but the book was well written and Emery is a fantastic character!

Anyone read this one yet? Am I over-reacting? I have no problem with someone mocking themselves and their weight, but couldn't help feeling that Emery was just as delusional as her skinny sister when it came to their weight.

2 comments:

  1. Thick. Heavy. Big boned. Plump. Full figured. Chunky. Womanly. Large. Curvy. Plus-size. Hefty but no longer 16 myself, I'm sure Emery's perceived hugeness would anger me no end.

    A book that lots of readers seem to be commenting on, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think I'll be giving this one a miss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I don't really like books that focus too much on weight...and this one seems to really negatively represent it. You're not overreacting - someone of her height and weight wouldn't always even LOOK that big.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u